SEVEN

Coming home from a long day of work, I was still in a bit of a daze at how this new story was practically in my lap, begging for me to take it on in some way

But a bigger part of me internally kept saying no every time. I was at a loss.

If I did have a slight chance, I'd have to actually be reacquainted with Victoria—which in my world, was like going to an electric chair. Actually, no. That would be less painful to go through than to see her face again.

Although if I let the opportunity pass and think nothing of it anymore, I'd probably be saying goodbye to a lifetime of all my hard journalizing efforts down the john—making it seem to my boss I didn't know how to do anything more.

Yet as I kept looking at my watch at the time, remembering I had a date with a vibrant hazel headed beauty in just a few hours, any other pondering would just have to wait.

Heading into my apartment, I was greeted instantly by a familiar young black man with his familiar smug grin—checking himself out in the mirror wearing a dashing two piece navy silk suit.

With my eyes in shock, I already knew what was clearly happening here. "No!"

Quickly acknowledging my presence back, he simply smirked. "Oh come on! I ain't even uttered a word yet Danny!" My long time best friend and roommate, Nathan Carter, spoke out in a bit of a whiny tone.

Yep. That was him alright. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

In all my years of knowing Nate since we were ankle biters in kindergarten, we'd been through a lot of experiences together living in low income colored households. He was my confidant and the only man that knew all about me and vice versa with him.

So once I became of age, me and him both got into some things that would make us financially stable practically for a very long time.

That is until I decided to do the right thing and he followed suit—which was exactly what I was planning on doing now too.

"Oh don't worry, you don't have to. The attire is a dead giveaway for someone who makes ninety three cents an hour at a laundromat." I pointed out, raising my eyebrows up while putting my briefcase and fedora down on the dining room table.

Seeing him in something like that wasn't as exciting and special as he was making it.

Behind that suit, there was a herd of dangerous wolves supplying it. More dangerous probably now, that I didn't think I could handle correctly anymore at this point in my life.

I'd seen it all before. I had it all before.

"Okay look old boy, before ya get all mad and everything just hear me out and then we can get rid of it. He even gave ya one too for free!" He pleaded.

I didn't care. There was nothing to discuss about the matter.

"Are you screwy?! I don't think so. How did he even find us?!" I inquired, becoming a bit worried while checking out the ritzy designer label on the tag.