NINE

Did my eyes deceive me?

How could this be happening?! Possible?! Real?!

Out of all the people in California, why did my ex boyfriend have to be the one to reappear? Ugh, where's Harry Houdini when one needs him?

But my god...did he still look just as sexy and enticingly attractive than I remembered him. I could immediately see what made me so addicted to his compelling pull before. The man knew how to keep himself in check when it came to his looks.

Continuing to be in such a state of shock, I didn't even hear Eddie questioning me and him until Danny himself answered for the both of us.

"Wait a minute, ya guys know each other?" Eddie inquired, glancing back and forth bewildered.

Oh, he had no idea...

"Oh, very well actually. In fact, me and Miss Singh go all the way back. We met when she was just a young bunny waitressing at 'The Hollywood Lounge.' Isn't that right Toribelle?" He then spoke again, smiling smugly.

That little prick. He knew good and well I detested anyone to call me that anymore.

Toribelle was the nickname he gave me when we were dating. It was a mix between my name and Belle from the folk tale 'Beauty & the Beast' because her beauty resembled mine, according to him—not to mention how very kind and smart she is.

It was clear now though the kind part didn't live within me anymore.

But he always knew how to be such a big cheese, telling me things I wanted to hear—or perhaps it was the things he genuinely felt but it just sounded too cliche to me to be true.

"Oh! That speakeasy with that new swanky and well known jazz singer, right? What's her name again—Ivy Hart?" Eddie then replied.

I might've heard something about that around town.

But if she was so well known, how come she hadn't become discovered yet too? And though I never met her personally—to my knowledge, I'm sure my former best friend Levi was giving her a run for her money by driving her mad.

God, it had been too long since I saw the only person I considered to be so close to me.

I was just too ashamed for him to see me like this now—knowing all the things I've done thus far. Sure I was famous and wealthy just like we planned to be someday, but was I still that happy girl he knew I could be?

Not by a long shot.

"Yep! That's the one." Danny answered, not daring to take his eyes off me.

I stood proud and tall though, appearing to be so calm and collected. Although, I was nearly sweating like I'd just ran across the country. Or wore last season's Chanel attire.

"Well, uh...good. I mean, welcome back! Would ya like something to drink then, before we get started–" Eddie then tried to reason.

Oh no. We weren't going to be cordial here with something as surprising as this was right in my lap. We were gonna clear some things up first before he touched anything.