THIRTY NINE

"And the winner for best actress in a silent film

"And the winner for best actress in a silent film...for this year's first ever 'Discover Awards' of 1926 is...Miss Victoria Singh!" Lousie shouted to the crowd of my peers.

Looking around the room, after salvaging up what was left of my own dignity—it was the next night at the much awaited awards. I had on a little strappy number for my dress I had purchased from a local thrift store, after giving extra donations for charity...I was happy.

I had the man of my dreams. A cheap but nice appealing dress. And a conscience that felt pretty good that I could do what was right after all. But I wasn't done just yet.

Squeezing my arm he had been locked to the whole night on the red carpet to now, Danny grinned happily for me in such a proud way as I smiled back, elated my name was even mentioned. "I knew it! Victoria, you won! Darlin', you actually won!"

But I couldn't even begin to speak anything at all. I was just so stunned.

However, the rest of my colleagues—or should I say most of them aside from the few claps I was receiving from Eddie and a couple of others, had nothing but astonishment and disbelief that my name was on the card she had just read on stage. The presenter included.

Turning to see Jack and his silly brother Jake in the back of the audience, I smirked to myself as their eyes were just as equally widened in surprise.

Though I still managed to get up and walked gracefully with my head held high confidently and full of hope, soon stepping onstage and up to her—accepting my small trophy she had held for me and my pride.

"Congratulations Miss Singh. I'm honestly shocked. But don't think you're fooling anyone from all this attention. You only won because your house just burned down, isn't that right?" Lousie smartly asked me, off mic.

Glaring to her for a moment, I knew she was still holding a grudge still after many years. But I wasn't going to yell or scream at her though. No, I had something much better.

"I don't know. Maybe we should burn yours down next, and see what happens for you too." I smiled kindly.

Immediately turning pale, she let out an offended gasp before moving back slowly from the mic, that was now going to be taken over by me to say a few words on how grateful I was for this opportunity.

"Good evening ladies and gentleman, it's truly a real honor to even be nominated at all...though I think we all know it was just a cruel joke. A joke that many of you may think I rightfully deserve after all the pain and criticism I've given most of you through my years of being an actress..." I began, staring over to my biggest enemies of the night aside from the brothers. Rick, Marty, Mr. Gains, and even the director to my film that had just wrapped up filming everything this morning. "And you're right." I let out. Quickly a surge of people gasped and stared at me in awe. I sighed, turning to Danny for a moment giving me a clear look of I can do this. And I could. "So for all of you who have been offended, hurt, and scolded for your hard work you've done for me to even come this far...I'm really sorry. My actions were inexcusable and I would like to assure you that it will never happen again."