TWENTY FIVE

The stage was set and Danny and I's entry to the party was a giant success, as I wanted it to be

It wasn't everyday a dame like me would be riding a motorbike, let alone drive one. But yet, the way Danny was so open minded (well, after the many tantrums he was starting to have) of me taking the reins for the night on his most prized possession, it was highly kind and sweet of him to give me a chance to do so.

Though I was mildly elated that he even showed up for me at all. Oh, correction—I mean, came to seek out a good story. I was for sure he'd ditch me like the other day and venture off with his little lady friends, without even having me as a thought in his mind for the rest of the weekend.

But I truly appreciated it.

Though for right now, my mind needed to be focused on the one thing we needed to get done before we departed tonight.

Find Jake Johnson.

He had to be here somewhere. Knowing the Johnson family, they weren't usually known to miss any parties if it meant they could possibly pick out their next victim. I just needed to find a way to record some kind of confession and give it out to the press, and the rest would be history. Him and his brother would be finished in this biz for good.

Strolling through the main hall where hundreds of my colleagues were among me—giving me many kind of dirty and evil looks, I graced them back with some of my own and kept pushing on.

However, the moment I saw Danny over by the buffet area scarfing down what looked like sponge cakes, a sense of peace and calmness took over me at the near sight of him. It was rather nice seeing a familiar face I actually didn't mind at one of these things finally. Well, tolerated more than the others.

He just looked so adorable, enjoying and surprised by the fresh foods at the tables.

Rushing up to him, I sighed slightly still distressed. "Did you find either one of them yet?" I asked, becoming more antsy by the minute of my lack of luck.

I didn't care who I got to first. Jake or Jack would suffice. But my conscience was certainly not trying to intentionally get in the crossfires of seeing Jack again after all these years. I'd only fear I wouldn't know what to do or how to handle myself.

"Nope..." Danny could only answer me in between bites. I rolled my eyes for a minute at his lack of classiness—but oddly, I didn't hate as much as I normally would've.

"Oh please, we probably would've by now if your eyes weren't so glued onto the hors d'oeuvres." I gestured to the snacks that did look quite appetizing.

He snickers and puts his plate down, finishing his last swallow and turned to me. "Aw cheer up Singh. We're still at a party. Try to at least enjoy yourself for a minute. If they're here, we'll see them and figure out next steps after."

"But I can't wait till after, Danny. With men like that, they're really crafty in hiding their dirty work as we both saw the other day. So if we do see them, we need to figure out what we'll do after, now."