Chapter Two: Magic Classes?

Annabeth was surveying the room with a bored expression when three teenagers entered the room. The new arrivals, she guessed. They were late.

"Hello, young wizards. You are very welcome here, of course," Chiron said, standing to look at the new arrivals.

Annabeth noticed the thin black-haired boy jump slightly. She guessed he had been taking in the sights of the room.

"You're a centaur!" he said excitedly. "Like Firenze! Do you know him?"

"No, my boy, I do not," Chiron said, looking confused but gratified.

The red-haired boy fidgeted. "You're a horse-person," he said nervously. "I don't particularly like horse people."

Chiron looked less gratified.

The brunette kicked him. "Ron!"

Annabeth felt Percy squirm next to her on their bench. She jabbed him with her elbow. Frank was staring, and Hazel was looking determinedly at her hands. Leo was absentmindedly building a mechanical spider from washers and hairpins. She'd murder him for that later. Calypso already looked like she was going to. Reyna was turning a gold dagger over in her hands. Piper was looking with interest at the newcomers, Katoptris forgotten. Jason was staring out the window. Nico was thrusting his hand at the floor repeatedly, making it tremble, and Annabeth noticed that red-haired boy shivering at it. Thalia was glancing at her nails, looking bored and intimidating in her "death to Barbie" t-shirt. Clovis was still asleep.

"Firenze teaches Divination at Hogwarts," the brunette girl said, wrinkling her nose. Annabeth jolted and looked at her intently. Annabeth wasn't sure what Divination was, but it was clear the girl disliked it.

"Well," Chiron said, "I suppose we ought to introduce ourselves. Could we start with your names?" He motioned to the other counselors. "You may meet the arrivals after the meeting is concluded."

Dionysus glared at them, his eyes slightly unfocused. "Out, you spawn of the Underworld. You've made my last 100 years miserable. Your turn."

The counselors filed out, looking disappointed.

Chiron looked at Travis and Connor, who were attempting to stay, unnoticed. "You, too, boys," he said tiredly.

After the brothers had left, groaning their displeasure, Chiron motioned to the rather thin boy to begin.

"I'm Harry," the black- haired boy said. "Harry Potter."

"Ron," the tall, red-haired boy said, smiling lopsidedly. "Ron Weasley."

Leo snorted under his breath and muttered something about weasels. Annabeth glared at him.

The brunette girl looked sideways at the boys before stepping forward. "I'm Hermione," she said. "Hermione Granger."

Annabeth smiled at her. She was pretty sure she'd like Hermione. Although she wondered where the name had come from.

The trio was looking at her, and she realized they expected her to say something. "I'm Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena," she said, "and this is Percy."

"Jackson," Percy added. "I'm the son of Poseidon."

"Wait," Ron interrupted, "is it Jackson or Percy?"

"Percy Jackson," Percy said.

Hermione kicked Ron.

Annabeth cleared her throat and looked pointedly at Jason.

He stood. "I'm Jason Grace, son of Zeus," he said, "ex-praetor of New Rome, and tamer of the winds." He looked like he would say more, but Dionysus  interrupted him. "Yes, yes, you're great, you're wonderful," he said drily. "Piper, dear, your turn," he added, turning to Jason's girlfriend, Piper, who stood uncomfortably.

"I'm Piper McLean," she said, "daughter of Aphrodite."

Frank was still staring, and Hazel jabbed him with her elbow. He started.

"Frank Zhang," he said. "Son of Mars."

"Hazel Levesque," Hazel said. "Daughter of Pluto."

"Nico Di Angelo," Nico said, "son of Hades."

"Thalia," Thalia said, and didn't bother to say anything else.

Leo stood. "I'm Leo Valdez, bad boy supreme," he said. "Son of Hephaestus." He dropped the spider on the floor, and Annabeth and that boy- Ron- both screamed simultaneously.

They stared at each other and screamed again.

Calypso stood quickly. "I'm Calypso," she said.

"No last name?" Harry asked.

Calypso bit her lip. "It's complicated," she said. "I'm a daughter of Atlas."

Reyna looked up. "I'm Reyna," she said. "Don't bother with my last name, either. I'm a daughter of Bellona."

Calypso smiled gratefully at her.

"Now," Chiron asked the three wizards, "what was the International Confederation of Magical Cooperation hoping to accomplish through this visit?"

"We wanted to promote magical peace by inviting demigods from your respective camps to attend eighth year at Hogwarts," Hermione said.

A babble of conversation broke out. Annabeth was unsure what to think. Hogwarts sounded really cool. She'd love to go. But she couldn't do magic. And what about Camp Half-Blood? Chiron raised his hand for silence.

"How exactly would they do so?" he asked. "And for how long?"

"Demigods have magical blood," Harry said. "They'd be able to wield wands and learn about magical skills. Although they would not be able to perform magic without specially crafted wands. The three of us-" he gestured to himself, Ron, and Hermione, "-would tutor the demigods who wanted to go to Hogwarts here at Camp Half-Blood, and after a three-week course they would be prepared for their eighth year. Simple, specially-prepared classes would be available at Hogwarts for them."

Annabeth was liking this plan more and more. Learning magic? Awesome. And she'd always wanted to see the architecture in London. Extra tutoring? Magic classes? It was too good to be true.

"Of course," Hermione added, "we can't take just anyone. Seven is the most powerfully magical number. If any danger was involved, seven to nine people would be best."

She looked around the room. "There are eleven of you here," she said, "but you're all invited."

Nico looked up. "I'm not going," he said. Annabeth sighed. She hadn't expected Nico to want to go.

"I probably shouldn't," Calypso said.

 Leo glared at her. "I'm not going without you."

Everyone looked at Reyna. "I probably shouldn't leave New Rome," she said regretfully.

"There's no need for that," Frank said hurriedly. "I'll stay here."

Everyone began to protest, but he looked at the ground and began to talk again. "I'm not really interested in magic," he said. "And besides, I have to stay in New Rome. That's where my loyalty lies."

"C'mon, dude," Leo said, "now the rest of us look bad."

"I don't know about you guys," Thalia said, "but I'm not going back to school."

"Then I'll go." Reyna looked around the room defiantly, as if daring anyone to protest. "I want to go. Magic sounds cool."

Leo whistled. "And the empress speaks like a normal human being, and stops being a pain in the cabeza."

Reyna glared at him.

Hermione sighed. "Everyone who's coming, stand up."

Percy, Annabeth, Leo, Reyna, Piper, Jason, Hazel, and Calypso stood.

"Excellent," she said briskly. "Eight is fine."

Annabeth looked around at her peers. This is going to be fantastic, she thought.

"Well," Dionysus said, "at least that's eight less brats to deal with. I'll work you extra hard on KP until you go."

Or not.