*:.:*:.:*Chapter 39: Embarrassed*:.:*:.:*

Hello, all! So today I will be posting three short chapters plus an announcement about my brand-new book series, which I have edited, re-edited, and re-re-edited, and which I will be posting the first chapter of on Friday!!!!! Please spread the word!!!!!!!!

Love you all,

Verity

Alexos paced the floor outside George's classroom, feeling nervous. He was about to ask a girl to the Yule Ball- Piper McLean. At least- well- he wasn't sure. He'd been very sure that morning, but now he wasn't again. He'd been struck by her the other night- she was so pretty and she had a nice laugh. He didn't really fancy her a lot, but he wanted somebody to go to the Yule Ball with, to show Reyna he didn't particularly care that she was going to get married to his cousin. He did care, but he didn't want her to know. It would be mortifying.

Since George... well, George HAD seemed like he fancied Piper, but now they seemed like easy friends. It wouldn't be awkward to ask George for advice.

Or so he thought.

"Hey, mate," George greeted him as he walked through the door, "what's on your mind?"

Alexos gave a hollow laugh. "Reyna."

George frowned. "Mate, she's happier with Malfoy. You know she is."

"That doesn't mean I have to LIKE it."

"No, but you need to stop moping. She feels guilty whenever she sees you."

"Anyways, I need your advice."

"On what?"

"I'm planning on asking someone to the Yule Ball. But I don't know if I should."

"Well," George said contemplatively, "it really depends on who you're planning on asking. I'm going to ask someone, myself."

"Oh, really? Who?"

George grinned. "You tell me first."

Alexos groaned. "You've probably got Angelina to come to Hogwarts for the ball."

George's face darkened momentarily at the mention of Angelina, but soon brightened again. "No, it's not her. Guess who it is- wait, no, you need to tell me first."

Alexos cleared his throat nervously. Oh, go on, he chided himself.

"Piper," he said, and just as he said it, Piper herself poked her head around the door. "George, can we- uh... wait, what were you saying about me, Professor Tonks? I'm sorry. I thought my boyfriend was alone, otherwise I wouldn't have come bursting in like that."

Boyfriend?

"Erm," George said, with a half-glance at Alexos, "could you hold on a minute, Pipes?"

But Alexos was speeding away from the classroom as he said it.

"I already asked her, mate!" he heard George faintly shouting behind him.

Drat.

Another embarrassment.