*:.:*:.:*Chapter 42: The Yule Ball*:.:*:.:*

Hello, everyone!!!! The first chapter of my new book, Greensleeve, is being posted after this, so I can't write a very long previewing letter today. But I hope you all like this new update, which is awesome, and long, I promise!!!!

Love you all,

Verity

P.S. If you like Potter Watch and my account, go look at the new book!!!!!!!!!!! First person to comment and vote on it gets a free shoutout on my profile page, but I will also be giving shoutouts on this book to the second, and the third, and the fourth, etc.

The Great Hall was sparkling with a thousand lights being given off by fluttering fairies. There were Christmas trees lining the walls, their pointed tops reaching for the velvety, star-spotted ceiling that was enchanted to look like the sky outside. Glittering ice crystal statues were positioned all around the room. The night air seemed to sing with magic.

The demigods and wizards, coming in, looked around in awe at the display, even Ron, Draco, Harry, Hermione, Alexos, George, and Ginny, who had all been to a Yule Ball before.

There were 8 pairs, in all: Nico and Luna, Draco and Reyna, Hazel and Alexos, George and Piper, Leo and Calypso, Ron and Hermione, Ginny and Harry, and Percy and Annabeth. The Montgomery twins were there, too, Molly with Tauro Nott, Draco's Ravenclaw cousin, and Meg with Arnold Pennyfeather, a cheerful Hufflepuff.

The music playing was slow and beautiful, a tinkling fairy tune. Percy turned to Annabeth. "May I have this dance, Wise Girl?"

Annabeth snorted. "At least now I'm shorter than you. You remember that night? When we were out looking for half-bloods, and then I fell off a cliff-"

Percy laughed. "Totally."

Hermione's brow creased. "Er, I don't think you've told me that one, Annabeth." She turned to Ron. "And see? No Viktor Krum tonight. Just you and me."

Ron grinned. "I guess so." He turned to Draco. The two had actually started to get along over the four days after his and Reyna's engagement. "Come on. Drag your fiancé out onto the floor. What's the point of having one if you can't-"

"Alright, Weasel-bee," Draco grinned. "Point taken."

He pulled Reyna out onto the dance floor.

As Hazel looked around at the glittering scenery, she sighed. It was all just so... perfect. Or at least it would be. But everyone had someone but her.

Alexos held out his arm. "May I have this dance, Miss Levesque?"

She smiled. "Of course, milord."

He's so tall, she thought. Taller even than Frank. She was dwarfed by him. But there was a sense of security in that. It was so... so perfect.

She knew it wouldn't be rated a perfect couple by others if they were to get together. He was so tall, and he was almost twenty-two, and she was only sixteen, and very short. But she wanted it to happen desperately.

As he led her out into the gleaming lights of the transformed Great Hall, she saw him look over at her quickly and then look away.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Nothing."

They started to dance, and Hazel felt like she was treading clouds.

"So," Alexos asked her, "what happened to your boyfriend? Frank?"

"We broke up," she stated simply.

He frowned. "Oh. I'm... I'm sorry."

"It's alright. I haven't fancied him or even really thought about him for weeks."

He sighed. "Still, I know what being lonely feels like."

She looked up at him seriously. "I do, too."

And then- she didn't know how it had happened- but the music soared into an aerial, heart stopping chord and he had picked her up and swung her into the air, and she felt like she was flying.

And she knew that he cared.

Ron hurried over. "Mate, Mum's invited you to our house over the hols. The whole crowd will be there."

Alexos smiled. "Brilliant, Ron." Then he turned back to Hazel, his eyes suddenly bright. Neither of them had to say anything- they both knew what had just happened. They both knew how the other felt.

And from that time onward they were boyfriend and girlfriend, without saying anything at all.