Chapter 26: Piper's Problem

Hey, guys!!! Hope you like this!!!! Saturday's chapters will be even longer. Stay tuned in to Potter Watch!!!!

Question: Should I change the title to "Potterwatch?"

Verity King

Piper sighed to herself as she walked through the door, ready for the 4th DA meeting. Harry had asked Ginny to the Yule Ball, and she'd said yes. Not that Piper was sad about that- she wasn't. She was happy for her friends. But now that Piper had no boyfriend, she wasn't too cheerful thinking about the fact that she wouldn't be asked.

She looked around the DADA DA meeting anxiously, hoping Jason had decided to skive off again.

No such luck.

"Hey, Pipes."

She glared daggers at him. "What do you want?"

"To make up. Look, I don't even know what I did-"

"You kissed Luna," Piper told him flatly. "Not only that, but you did it against her will. That's barely short of rape."

"It wasn't against her will, she wanted-"

"No," Piper said. "She didn't. Now get your sorry self out of my sight."

He tried to put his hand on her arm, but she yanked it away. "There's enough filth on my robes without you touching them," she snapped. Unconsciously, she looked around for George. She'd sort of come to rely on him.

Sure enough, he was there at her arm, glaring down at her ex-boyfriend (he was about four inches taller). "Is there a problem, Mr. Grace?"

Jason snarled. "No," he said finally, managing to smooth his expression. "I was just asking my girlfriend to the Yule Ball."

George thought for a moment, and Piper saw a small smile spread across his face. "Well," he told the irate son of Jupiter, "that's too bad then. I'm afraid I already got to her."

Piper whirled around, shocked. "What?"

"Oh," George said airily, "you remember what I asked you, don't you? Unfortunately, I don't remember what you said back. Could you repeat it, please?" His tone was casual, but there was something behind his eyes that he couldn't quite place. And THAT wasn't casual at all.

And it was really official. He'd said it. He had just asked her to the Yule Ball. And Piper already knew what her answer would be. "I said yes," she told him firmly. "Obviously."

He smiled. "Thank you, Piper. So you see," he said, smiling cooly at Jason (who looked like he was about to breathe fire), "she's already taken."

Jason stalked away, and Piper turned to George, still stunned. "Did you really mean that?" she asked incredulously.

He laughed. "Who wouldn't want to ask the most beautiful witch at Hogwarts to the Yule Ball?"

She gasped. Her cheeks flushed. "You really think that?"

"Of course I do," he laughed, mock-bowing. "On my honor as a prankster." He thought for a moment. "I think, though," he said, "that I'd better ask you officially. Didn't that award you won in class a few weeks ago entitle you to a homework pass as long as you met with the teacher for lunch to make sure you understood the concept?"

Piper nodded.

"Well, then," he told her, "tomorrow you get special permission to accompany me to that new restaurant, Pigglypuff, in Hogsmeade."

Piper gasped. "Really?"

He laughed. "Come on, Pipes, stop doubting me!" He heard Professor Tonks calling him, and turned to go reluctantly. "The meeting should be starting soon. I'll talk to you after?" He took her hand, then dropped it again.

Piper nodded. As he walked away, she looked at her hand, which was still tingling from the warm pressure of his. She had always hated any attempt by Jason or Leo to use her dad's nickname for her. But coming from George- well, it sounded perfect.

Piper's heart thudded in her chest, and her cheeks burned. For the rest of the meeting, she wouldn't explain why a small smile had crept onto her face.