Chapter 29: Frazel Sunk

I have only one thing to say: Frazel fans, please do not murder me today. It's my birthday. Please also restrict homicidal attempts to weekdays, because I don't want to be killed on the weekend, either.

Verity King

P.S. Doesn't the pic at the top just add to the pain???? Lol

Hazel sat on her dormitory bed, anxiously awaiting her owl Sweep's return with Frank's letter. It usually only took about three days for the owl to go across the Atlantic and back.

She hadn't said much in the letter, only that they needed to talk. She'd arranged for one of the Camp Jupiter fireplaces to be connected to the Floo System for tonight- but she needed Frank's reply before she could make the hour-long trip. That was the limit for how long they could talk, the headmistress had warned her. After that, a professor would have to come after her and ten points would be taken from Gryffindor.

It was settled, now. Hazel was in love like she hadn't ever been before with Professor Tonks. It was making her miserable, but there it was. And she'd tried to feel sorry for him when he and Reyna had broken up, but there just wasn't any way. She couldn't stop herself from being heartrendingly happy.

If only there wasn't Frank. She didn't know what her boyfriend would say- she wasn't exactly cheating on him, but she wasn't exactly staying faithful, either.

A hoot interrupted her thoughts. Sweep! She held out her fist as the owl swooped in through the window, and placed the poor tired thing in his cage. Then she pulled the note he held in his talons out and read it eagerly:

Okay, Hazel. Actually, I have something I need to tell you, too. I'll be in the Praetorium at five- your 10:00 PM.

Hazel glanced at the enchanted clock on the wall, then sprang to her feet as she realized it was two minutes to ten. She grabbed her tiny bag of Floo Powder and rushed downstairs with it.

Alexos was by the fire.

"Er- excuse me," she mumbled as she made her way to the roaring hearth.

He looked at her in surprise. "Where are you off to, Hazel?" He had seen the Floo bag.

"I'm going to Camp Jupiter," she explained quickly. "I'll be back in an hour."

He nodded gloomily. "Okay."

Hazel didn't like to see him upset, especially not because of Reyna. But she had an appointment to keep. She couldn't stay and talk.

She turned to the fire. "Camp Jupiter!" she said, and threw the powder into it. She stepped in and felt the world dissolve.

She emerged from the fireplace in the Praetorium choking and covered in soot. Not a great way to greet your boyfriend, she thought, and realized she was thinking like an American again at the sights and sounds of Camp Jupiter. She decided that, on the whole, she liked Britain better.

Frank rushed into the room. "Hazel!" He hugged her instead of kissing her. That was weird. Again she felt the odd sensation of being engulfed by his hugeness. But this time it wasn't a pleasant sensation. It felt really weird.

"Uh," she said when she'd pulled away, "I... I'm... not really thinking about you much... not anymore..."

"I know what you mean," he said. "I mean, I forgot about you after you'd been gone so long."

She shrugged. "And I guess what I wanted to tell you was..."

"Frank?" A pretty brunette poked her head into the room. She saw Hazel and flushed. "Oh," she said. "Um, who's this, Frank?"

Frank coughed. "This is my, uh, friend, Lillia. Her name's Hazel."

Hazel started to laugh, feeling a lot freer than she'd felt in weeks. Frank liked another girl! There was no need for confusion at all!

Frank was looking considerably relieved, to say the least.

"I'm Frank's ex-girlfriend, Lillia," she told the girl, who was looking mystified.

"Oh," she said. She withdrew.

Hazel and Frank looked at each other. Finally, Hazel spoke. "I actually fancy someone else," she told Frank, feeling her connection to America shatter. British accent had reclaimed her.

He shrugged. "I asked Lillia out on accident. I'd forgotten I even had a girlfriend."

"So this is goodbye, then?"

He nodded. "Yeah. But we'll still be friends, right?"

Hazel nodded. "'Course." She fingered her bag of Floo powder. She really wanted to leave...

"It's okay," Frank said. "Go."

She smiled tremblingly at him. "I'll miss you, Frank."

He nodded. "Me, too."

And Hazel tossed the powder into the fire, said "Hogwarts Common Room!" and left. She felt free. But that wasn't helping the hollow feeling that opened inside her chest when she broke up with her boyfriend of two years.