Chapter Three: Wandwork

Percy walked towards the dining pavilion for his first official magic lesson. Ugh- lesson. Annabeth was acting all happy because she had another opportunity to be a brain girl, but Percy was more interested in the actual magic. He couldn't wait to learn to shoot fire like Leo, fly like Jason, and transform like Frank. He was pretty sure the weird dress-wearing kids would be pretty impressed by his water skills. Hazel's powers were pretty cool, too, and had saved their butts multiple times.

The pavilion was up ahead. He squeezed Annabeth's hand as they approached. "Ready for this?"

"Oh yes," she said enthusiastically. "I can't wait to see London. The sooner we learn and leave, the better." She glanced around at the trees and the grass. A nymph giggled and waved at them, then disappeared into thin air. "I'll miss this place, though," Annabeth sighed. "All the happy memories."

"Well, we'll be coming back," Percy told her.

"Not all of us," she said, looking worried. "What if some of us want to stay? Piper's just turned eighteen. She's a legal adult. What if she and Jason get married and live in London?"

Percy snorted. "They can't get married at the respective ages of eighteen and nineteen. We, on the other hand-"

"Percy," Annabeth said gently, "I can't get married at twenty. I still have so much to do, so much to learn-"

"But you've already said yes."

Annabeth looked down at the glistening pearl ring Percy had given her- the jewel of the sea. She twisted it with a half-smile on her face. "I have, haven't I?" she asked, looking up at him.

He kissed her. "Please?" he asked, his eyes pleading.

She sighed. "No, Percy. Maybe after all this is over."

He groaned. Annabeth still refused to marry him. He wanted her to be with him for the rest of their lives, together in New Rome. He'd already had to wait two years.

They had reached the pavilion, and Hazel waved at them, looking lonely and forlorn. Frank had left for New Rome that morning.

They were the last ones to arrive.

"Well, well, well," Leo grinned, "the lovebirds have finally decided to grace us with their magnificent presences! It's a miracle."

Annabeth scowled at him. He brandished a mechanical spider at her. She drew her dagger.

"Alright!" Hermione interrupted. "Annabeth, Percy, please sit."

Annabeth looked around. "All the seats are taken," she pointed out. The rest of the demigods were in squashy red chintz armchairs that she didn't recognize. She started for one of the benches, but Hermione stopped her. "Wait," she said firmly. She raised her wand and flicked it at the floor. A tiny feather that was resting on the floor slowly revolved and grew into a red chintz armchair. The same thing was done to another feather.

Annabeth and Percy stared at the chairs. Then Percy grinned happily. This was beyond cool. "Dude, I want one!" he said, suddenly excited about these lessons. If he could do that, he'd be so happy he could burst.

Hermione gestured to Harry and Ron, who were each holding four narrow boxes. They stepped forward and placed the boxes on the table.

"Now," Hermione said, gesturing to the boxes, "these are your new wands. They have been specially crafted with both Ancient Greek and Roman materials. All are made out of either Olive, Cypress, or Laurel wood, and all have a core of either Pegasi feathers, Drakon scale powder, or Harpy talons. Each of you will step forward and hold your right hand over each box. If the wand inside is yours, it will be attracted to your hand. The wand chooses the Wizard, and you all are about to become Wizards."