Chapter 44: Christmas at Grimmauld Place (and we say goodbye)

Hello, all!

I've been rather busy this week, so I apologize for not posting a chapter on Monday like I usually do. I'm working pretty hard on my schoolwork, as well as my new book, but I thought I should see this through for you lot. Yes, you've guessed it; this is indeed the end of the Potter Watch book. The last chapter.

But don't worry! In two weeks I will be coming out with an accompanying book called Potter Watch: 19 Years Later, with some fun extra chapters, an account of the demigods and wizards' respective weddings, and some cute Next Gen fanfiction chapters that include the children of the demigods. I love all of you so much, and I really hope you can take the time to comment, vote on, and share the chapters of this book as well as the others!

If you enjoyed this book, please take the time to tell me so in the comments.

I love you all,

Verity

Ginny woke early that morning, grinning with excitement. Today was the day! The first Christmas she'd ever celebrated as Harry's girlfriend.

She sighed happily. Last year this time, she hadn't thought life could get any worse. Voldemort had been at large, Harry had been away, and everyone had been nervous. This year, although Fred was gone, the old familiar family feeling had returned, along with excitement- the demigods, knowing them, would inadvertently make things more exciting.

She jumped out of bed and ran across the room to Reyna's cot. "Hey, sleepyhead," she smirked, "get up."

"Go away," Reyna groaned. "I don't want to do it. You can't make me. I need to rest."

"Harry's got us all stockings hung downstairs. And I think I heard Draco going down there a couple minutes ago."

That got the demigod up. "Hold on a moment," she said, pulling out her wand. "Accio!"

Her clothes zoomed from her trunk with a bang and hit her in the face, knocking her off the cot. "Ouch!"

Ginny couldn't help it. She burst out laughing.

Reyna emerged from the pile of fabric and laces looking sheepish. "Sorry," she said.

Ginny only laughed harder. If this had been a couple months ago, perhaps Reyna would have minded it. But Draco seemed to have lightened her up, and she was now sometimes as silly as Leo.

Soon, the girls were both dressed. Whispering and giggling, they raced down the five flights of stairs to the very bottom floor, where the living room and fireplace were.

Kreacher the house elf had done a brilliant job on the tree; it was huge and sparkling with thousands of minuscule lights and bobbing ornaments. There were wreaths and paper snowflakes everywhere.

Piper, Meg, and Molly soon joined them. "This is brilliant," Molly gasped.

"So," Meg asked Reyna, eyes sparkling, "he did it? He asked you to marry him?"

Reyna showed Meg her glittering ring.

"It's beautiful," Meg sighed.

"Tell me about it," Molly smirked. "So you'll be married in the summer? When Harry-"

Reyna clapped a hand over the girl's mouth. Ginny frowned.

"When Harry does what?"

"Nothing," Reyna said quickly.

"Nothing at all," Meg chimed in.

Luna appeared at the doorway, her hair in pretty disarray. "Oh, hello, Draco," she said calmly, looking in the general direction of the tree. "Why are you hiding?"

"Draco," Reyna groaned. She went over and yanked the protesting Malfoy from his hiding place.

"Why on earth were you back there?" Reyna asked.

He shrugged. "I was hiding something for you and then you came in. No point hiding it now." He took a small package from his pocket. "Happy Christmas."

Ginny watched as Reyna's face lit up. She took the little package and opened it to find a necklace. "Oh, Draco, thank you!"

Draco smiled. "Anything for you, Reyna. What time are we going over to the Weasleys'?"

"I think at eight."

Ginny sighed a little and walked out amid the squeals from Meg, Molly, and Luna. She was happy that Reyna was with Draco, of course. And she was happy to be Harry's girlfriend. And she knew that, while she was of age, she was really too young to be married. But still...

Her thoughts were interrupted by the footsteps of Harry himself.

"Gin?" he asked, seeing her gloomy face. "You alright?"

She nodded. "Yes. It IS Christmas, after all."

He grinned. "Well, the rest if the crowd is coming downstairs behind me. Ready to unwrap the gifts?"

She shrugged. "Yeah."

"There's my girl."

By the time everyone had finished with the presents, the floor was littered with paper. Ginny had gotten several little things from her friends, including a new scarf, color-change ink, and tiny snitch earrings. But she hadn't gotten anything from Harry. Had he forgotten her on Christmas? Her eyes started to fill with tears.

"Hey," Reyna said suddenly, slapping her boyfriend over the head, "what's this back here? You really WERE hiding something from me, weren't you?"

Draco laughed and shook his head. "Read the label."

Reyna did- her eyes widened, she grinned, and then she tossed it to Ginny. "Open it before I die of suspense."

It was a little red tissue-wrapped parcel. Ginny sighed with delight and relief when she saw it was from Harry. She opened it, gasped, turned around...

And Harry was on one knee. "Ginny Molly Weasley," he started.

"Nice name," Molly chuckled.

"Oh, hush, Molly, don't ruin it. Ginny, you've had a horrid crush on me since you were eleven, I know-"

"His eyes are as green as a fresh-pickled TOAD," Draco sang in falsetto, batting his eyes.

"Stop, Draco! And I know that I always have to ask Piper for advice on these things, because I'm not very romantically creative-"

"Understatement," Piper giggled. "You wanted to dress up as a reindeer for this."

"Piper, don't embarrass me! And I know I'm botching this right now- don't even START, Leo! I suppose what I'm trying to say is... will you marry me?"

Ginny started to cry.

"Is something wrong?" Harry asked, looking disappointed and heartbroken.

Ginny shook her head. "Nothing's wrong, Harry." She threw herself into his arms, knocking him into a pile of wrapping paper that was almost as large as an autumn leaf pile. "Everything's perfect."

All was well.