Chapter Four: More Wandwork

Piper stood, feeling hurt and rejected. She felt like that a lot these days. Jason acted like Hera had cursed him again. Except this time, she'd taken his sensitivity.

He was so rude to Piper, flirting with everyone else, acting like she didn't exist- but every time she wanted to walk away he acted sweet, and she stayed on. It was like being attached to a rubber band. Once it was stretched to the limit, it bounced back to where it was pulled from.

Of course, rubber bands could break if they were pulled too many times.

But Piper hadn't broken yet. She wanted to stay strong, and every time she was rejected, pushed away, or slighted, she remembered that night on the cabin roof when she'd planned their future with him.

Grandchildren.

What a magical word.

It swept all the hurt away, and replaced it with a warm, peaceful feeling. She said that word in her private mind, and it kept her going.

She said it now as she walked to the rough wooden table in the center of the pavilion.

Grandchildren.

She swept her hand over all the boxes, slower than Percy had.

The first one did nothing, and fearing rejection like Jason, she quickly moved onto the second. She felt pure relief as it jumped to her hand almost eagerly. Harry leaned forward to read Piper's box, "Drakon scale powder core, olive wood, 10 inches, powerful, good for defensive spells." Piper nodded and headed back to her seat. As she walked, she examined her wand. There was a pattern of feathers in a spiral design all the way down the wand, and when she flicked it, red and pink sparks flew out. She blushed. The colors of love.

Ugh.

Piper quickly shoved the wand in her pocket, hoping no one had seen. She immediately felt a connection to it, and knew she would come to rely on it just as much as her dagger. She looked up hopefully as she sat down. Jason still wouldn't look at her.

Leo took a step forward next, a mischievous smile dancing across his face. Hermione looked at him almost apprehensively. There were five wands left. Leo felt almost a vibration coming from the box on the end of the row, almost like it was tapping a secret Morse code just to him. He was dying to mess with it. However, he ignored it. He sensed that the longer he stayed up here the more tense Hermione was becoming, and he loved freaking her out. At least she didn't have a dagger to threaten him with like Annabeth did, although her stick thingy did look kind of dangerous. He wondered if she was afraid of spiders. He progressed slowly past each wand, leisurely taking his time and enjoying the limelight. Hermione looked as though someone had lit a fire under her behind and was twitching constantly. He passed his hand with an almost exaggerated slowness over the last box, enjoying her anxiety. The wand almost leaped out of the box and flew into his hand. He shot Hermione a knowing "innocent" look. She was trying to look nonchalant but she was clearly pissed off. He could feel Calypso blush behind him while Hermione glared. Man, he loved messing with brainy girls. They were so easy to tick off. This time Hermione leaned forward to read the box. "Drakon scale powder core, laurel wood,11 inches, good for defense and prank spells."

"Awesome," Leo grinned. Hermione shot an angry look at him.

"Hey, that sounds like a- a Fred and George wand," Ron added. He had hesitated slightly over the name "Fred". Leo wondered why.

"Who are Fred and George?" he asked, interested.

"Never mind that," Hermione cut in. "Wave your wand."

Leo waved it, or more accurately, haphazardly sliced it through the air. A jet of fire shot out the end, nearly singing bathrobe boy Harry's robes. All three wizards jumped back in surprise.