Moon Cakes (Chang'e)

I spotted the bunnies gathering boxes in the alley way of the store. They were so big, and still hopped about like the animals I saw at the zoo.

Giggling, I hopped around like them before spotting one of the boxes they were gathering. It was full of a white powder, and curiosity called me into the box.

It tickled my skin, and I played for a bit until everything went dark. I looked up to see the sky was blocked from view. I was stuck! I dug around the white sand, looking for another way out. Then the box moved on its own.

Rising up, then being set back down. I though it couldn't get any darker, and yet it did just a moment later!

I whined in complaint. I didn't like the dark!

What was I to do?!

My mother scolded me for the habit, but I couldn't help but place my thumb in my mouth. It was the only thing I could think of for comfort. That is until I tasted the sand on my thumb. It wasn't sand at all.

It was sugar!

Suddenly, the dark didn't seem so bad. Not if it meant I got sugar with it! I shoved handfuls into my mouth. Chewing on the somewhat crunchy sweetness that melted together on my tongue.

The taste was so delicious, I was fully preoccupied until I saw light again. Only pausing in my feast when the box was opened again.

"Oh my!"

I looked up, spotting a lady with ink black hair, and a bright blue clip in her hair. Her face looked surprised, but I just stuck more sugar in my mouth. Nothing phased me when I had such a delicacy.

"Awwww! Such a sweet suprise!" She cooed suddenly, flashing something bright at me from several angles. I blinked, stunned by the bright light until she scooped me out of the crate. "Now where on earth did you come from, little one?" She asked, looking me over.

I ignored her for the most part, licking my hands of the remaining sugar as she found my locket.

"(Y/n). Ah, here's a number. You must like exploring if you get lost this often. Can you talk?" She asked me, to which I simply stuffed my other hand in my mouth. She giggled.

"Looks like somebody's got a sweet tooth. Oh! I know! Let's film an episode before you go home." She beamed, carrying me away from the crates.

I didn't really know what she meant by episode, but I didn't bother too much. Still plenty busy with the yummy grains on my arms.

However, my calm was immediately washed away when she gave me a bath. Washing away all of my precious sugar, along with the stickiness that had gained me more and more of it.

I cried plenty loud over most of her words, only calming again, when she said I would get more later.

My cries slowed then, but I still pouted at her with all of my wrath. To which she giggled and squished my cheeks.

"Don't worry, my greedy little one. Have you ever had moon cakes?" She asked, as I only continued to pout. After drying me off, she booped my nose gently. "You're gonna love them."

She sat me on a kitchen chair next to a counter, and started to set something all over the place. I grabbed onto the counter, grunting as I pulled myself up onto my feet and patted at the counter top. Nothing was within my reach, which frustrated me. Where was the sugar?

"Alright, we're set to go in 3...2..Hello everyone! It's wonderful to see you all down there. I've missed you all so much. Welcome to my home for another night of Cooking with Chang'e. Where Life is Cooking! Tonight, I'll be revealing the secret ingredient to making the perfect moon cake. But first! We have a sweet surprise! Give a warm welcome to this little one."

She waved her arms around me and squished my cheeks again, all while keeping me carefully away from the stuff on the counter.

I pouted in frustration again, at not being allowed to look for my promised sugar until she turned my head so I was looking at her.

"You've got to wait a little longer for your sugar, little one. We're making the moon cakes ourselves! It'll be fun!"

I perked up when she mentioned fun, and settled down then. Letting her finish her rambles in piece.

She then moved me in front of her and started to pull the ingredients out, showing me, and some invisible persons how to make the moon cakes.

I was very helpful in taste testing all the ingredients before they got into the bowl. Though for some reason that just made the lady laugh. She had a pretty laugh, I liked hearing it.

She mixed together the first batch, and quickly put it into an oven before starting on the second batch. She tried to keep me out of it, but I managed to get past her defenses even then. Until I slipped off my stool, taking the bowl with me.

The lady tried to catch me, but I landed on my butt, with dough all over me and the bowl on my head. I was so shaken, I looked up at her in confusion. But she burst into laughter as she started to clean me up.

I couldn't help it. I started laughing too. She made it so easy too, and I continued to giggle as she set me on the counter and cleaned me off.

When it was time to say goodbye to her imaginary friends, I did my best good bye.

"Bai bai." I gurgled. To which she gasped and hugged me tightly. I wheezed at the tightness, but hugged her back.

Finally, I was given my reward, and handed a warm moon cake. It was the bestest, sweetest thing I'd ever tasted.

I gobbled down several of them as fast as I could, and the lady even packed some of them in a box for me. Buuut I couldn't open it myself.

"These are for later, after you've returned home my little friend. I hope you have a safe journey, don't worry, Bun bun will look after you." She told me, gently brushing some crumbs off my face. She sighed almost sadly, before kissing my forehead.

"It's sad, I wish you were mine..but that just means I should try everything I can to get you home to your real mama. Take care." She told me, nuzzling me softly.

I cooed softly at her as she set me down on something soft. It was so soft, I found my eyes drooping almost instantly.

"Bye bye, (Y/n)." She waved as my eyes blinked slower and slower. I managed a little wave.

"Bai...bai..."

Then my eyes closed, and I drifted off to sleep.

Just a quick note. I didn't know who all needed to hear this song right now. But when I heard it, it really made me feel better about my day. I hope you all are doing well, and that you're able to make someone smile today. Maybe even laugh.

Have a good Evening, my stars.

Link for the Song: https://youtu.be/XtlKLG_T_P4