In the Dark of the Night (Macaque)

Hi, bet you guys have noticed that I put this one off. Macaque is a great character, that I respect dearly. But personally, I don't know if he would be ready for a romantic relationship as he currently is in the lmk series. Even so, I'll do my best with this chapter. I hope you enjoy.

"What do you think?" I asked, watching him take a bite. Macaque hissed with a wince at the still steaming insides of the bun.

"Haaaht, hawt, hawt." He chanted before quickly swallowing, and I giggled.

"Sorry, but I did say they were freshly made."

He grabbed his water bottle and sipped at the liquid to cool his throat before chuckling. "I didn't think you meant they were straight from the oven."

I smiled, hugging my knees as I looked at the steamer they came in. It sat on the blanket at a slight angle from the uneven ground.

"Do they taste good?"

"Dunno. Too hot." He said, blowing on the remaining piece in his hand. "I'll have to have some more." He winked at me, making me smile before glancing away.

The park was empty around us, bathed in black almost, if it weren't for the lantern sitting at the edge of our picnic blanket. I looked up at the stars in thoughtful silence as Macaque hummed softly.

"They're a bit over cooked. But you did a good job." He said bluntly, and as I looked over, he was grabbing another one.

"At least they're edible."

"You're getting better." He said before biting into a fresh bun. I swiped one of the candies he had brought to the picnic, popping it in my mouth.

"I like your taste in treats much more than my cooking." I admitted around the treat, before seeing him lean over. I turned my head towards him, making eye contact just before our lips connected and I froze up in surprise.

This wasn't our first kiss, but I still wasn't used to it. My face flushed bright pink as he pulled away with a smirk.

"Me too, guess that means you better keep practicing." He told me, my candy held between his teeth.

I blinked at him twice before feeling my cheeks heat even further.

"Wha? How did you-?!" I gawked as he chewed on the candy in content.

"A magician never reveals his secrets." He said simply with a smirk, looking out into the dark ahead.

I huffed at him before swiping the bag of sweets for myself.

"You're not a magician, you're a twinkie." I stuck my tongue out at him before eating another candy.

"So, what? I taste good?" He asked, looking confused. I snorted, nearly choking.

"Sure."

He looked away with a small smile. "I don't mind that." He murmured, making my cheeks warm.

Those little smiles, they made me fall in love all over again. Macaque looked back and caught me staring. Arching a brow turned his little smile into another smirk, and I found my gaze quickly shifting to my feet, which fidgeted under his stare. He merely chuckled in reaction.

"Thanks for being a taste tester." I spoke softly, rocking gently back and forth.

"Yeah, well. Free food. Besides, I thought you could benefit from someone who wasn't as harsh as that Pig you keep hanging around."

"Pigsy's not so bad." I shrugged. "He's just passionate."

"I guess."

I watched Macaque frown into the dark before leaning over and setting my head on his shoulder. I felt his tail set itself around me, and smiled as I closed my eyes.

"Don't worry, you're still my favorite." I assured him, before feeling a hand brush lightly through my hair.

"....good."

I giggled, relaxing as we stared up at the stars. The lantern flickering in the dark.

"You'll always be my favorite."

Link For The Song:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=kSHUVcVjdgg&feature=share7