What if (Syntax)

Just a little, What if..

I'd finally tracked down where Syn had been all this time. It had been a while since I'd last seen him. I hated that I'd put a tracker on him, and so had never used it..until now.

Things had been too quiet lately. Something might have happened, or it could be nothing. But then why hadn't he visited like he said he would? I couldn't wait any longer.

Following a scanner I'd borrowed from his old lab, I stepped in the path the tracker lead, looking up once and a while to make sure I didn't get lost. There were webs everywhere, and it was so dark, I soon had to turn on a flash light as I headed into a tunnel.

As I traveled, I thought I heard something, and stopped, pointing the flashlight ahead of me.

"Syn? Is that you?" I asked, but there was no reply.

I walked a little further before spotting something ahead, and focused the light on it. On him. Syntax was on the ground. Not moving.

Dropping the scanner, I ran over, setting my flashlight off to the side. "Syn! Are you ok?" I asked, rolling him over. He had three spider like legs sticking out of his back, but one was shattered at the end, and another was crushed flat. His purple skin was bruised and he was bleeding from the mouth.

However, there was a ray of hope, as I pulled at him. He groaned.

"Hang on. You're gonna be alright." Stuffing the flashlight in my mouth, I then heft the green haired man onto my back. He was heavy, but I managed to get to my feet.

If I could, I'd come back for the scanner. But Syntax needed help, and fast.

~~~

His eyes opened, and immediately he began to scan the area with his eyes. I noticed him moving while I sat across the room with a cup of something hot to drink.

"You're up." I sighed in relief before getting up to approach.

"Where...Where am I?" He asked, reaching a hand up to his head. Which was bandaged. He was practically covered in bandages.

"Somewhere safe. Are you alright? How do you feel?" I asked, trying not to touch him without permission. He frowned, confused, as he looked up at me.

"How did you find me?"

I bit my lip. "I..I put a tracker on you." I blurted. "I didn't want to use it, and I didn't for a while. But things had just gotten so quiet, and you hadn't come to visit, so I started panicking and I-"

"(Y/n)."

The sound of my name froze my rant as I stared back at the injured man. Syn never called me by my first name.

"You..saved my life." Slowly, I let my hands hang next to my sides as he spoke. "Thank you."

I felt my cheeks turn pink. "You don't need to thank me." I murmured, shaking my head. He sighed audibly, his gaze sliding to the ceiling above.

"As difficult as ever. Just accept my thanks. I don't plan to make you repeat this sort of rescue, ever." Stiffening a little, I nodded.

"Right..of course."

"Did you see anyone else?" He asked, still staring up from his bed.

"Anyone else?" I repeated, and he blew out another breath.

"I didn't think so. But I thought you might..at least I thought..hmm. I would like to believe my queen got away safely. But then again, she's not exactly the type to retreat if she can help it." He shook his head lightly over the pillow, while I raised a brow.

"Your queen?"

His gaze snapped to meet mine so suddenly, I involuntarily flinched.

"The less you know, the better off you will be...it's good that you didn't see anyone with me. If anything, you would have been more likely to come across my assailant." Setting his jaw, he began to sit up. I helped him, and put up his pillow behind him so he could lean back. "These injuries will take time to heal. Unfortunately, I do not know nearly as much as I would like. Too much to be safe, yet too little to properly prepare." He grunted with the effort to move before settling down again.

Pulling up his sleeve, he went to his watch, tapping at it. It flickered, but it took a couple of smacks to get the screens to appear. I gazed at the machine it showed with amazement. It looked familiar, but incomplete.

"No use building that now, I think." Syntax huffed, before stashing the blueprints back into their files. He then started tapping away at his watch. I took this as an opportunity to favor an old habit of mine.

Grabbing a cup, I poured some of the beverage I had been drinking from a kettle. Bringing it to the bed, I offered it to the green haired male.

Syntax glanced at the cup, once, then twice. His tapping slowing. His eyes caught mine, staring for a moment. He then gently took the glass from me. I handed it to him, not letting the touch of our fingers linger.

"A friend of mine is making dinner. I'll bring you some when it's ready. You'll need your strength."

Syntax nodded silently, but before I could head for the door, he caught my hand.

"I never really appreciated all the work you did for me, (Y/n)..Thank you."

Turning back towards him with wide eyes. I then smiled with a nod.

"Happy to help."

Aw. This was sweet. But was it in character? Well it's almost 3 in the morning. So it's as close to character as my brain is gonna get.

What do you guys think? Do you often write stories or scenes in the middle of the night? I bet you do.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Have a Magical Evening,
G'Night Stars!

Song: https://youtu.be/tsoho0c8WBQ?si=hs-WvF8oWSP1YVT0