You're Alive (Syntax)

I stared at a beaker in my fingers, turning it over and over.

It had been weeks since Syn had disappeared. No trace left of him. Then that strange uprising of the spider queen a few days ago. A sinking feeling had been stuck firmly in my stomach whenever I thought about him, and I thought about him often.

Sighing, I put the beaker back before standing and looking around the lab. I thought if he would come back, it would be to this place. This was more his home than his apartment ever could have been.

The table had been tidied by yours truly days ago, after the police had gotten through looking at the lab like a crime scene. But there was nothing out of the ordinary. Syn's papers had been scattered about, electric bits and oil samples spilled about here and there. But no sign of foul play.

"Oh, Syn...where are you?" I sighed, walking over to a newspaper clipping that depicted the events of the new year. "Why won't you come home?"

Water brimmed in my eyes, causing me to wipe my face as I turned towards Syntax's desk. Only to see a figure standing there in front of it.

Gasping, I quickly shook my head, eyes closed, before opening them again. They were still there, now looking my way.

It looked like Syntax. It was Syntax! But, his hair and skin were different colors, and there was something sticking out of his coat like four insect legs.

"Syn?" I asked, taking a step towards him. He turned my way with a nervous look, stepping back. But he simply bumped into his desk, like he always did when I startled him in the lab.

"I wouldn't come any closer if I were you." He said, making me pause. "My purpose here is merely for somethings I forgot. I'm not here to answer questions, and I'd rather you pretend I was never here. I won't be coming back."

I watched him turn away from me to rummage through his desk and approached slowly. He noticed, and glanced at me a few times until I was standing next to him, and he stared at me.

His eyes were a different color, but I knew them anyhow. Something had happened, and he didn't want to talk about it. That much was clear. But right now, I didn't care.

I wrapped my arms around his middle, and hugged him tightly. I could feel him tense in surprise, but didn't let go as I sniffled to keep from crying.

One of his hands set themselves on my back as he continued rummaging through his desk. At one point, he had to move me out of the way of his drawers, but he didn't push me away.

When I finally let go, and looked at him again, he stared back with a calculated look. He was trying to understand my reaction to him. But I just smiled.

"If, you want to talk..you know where to find me."

Surprise lifted his brows before one corner of his mouth lifted in a half smile.

"If I have to.. but I'll be sure to call first." He told me as I set my hands behind my back.

"I want you to."

He picked up a paper from his desk, folding it up and putting it in his coat pocket. Then he gave me a small salute and headed out the door.

I watched him leave before letting out a shaky breath. Finally letting my tears fall as I rushed for a box of tissues.

"I miss you...heh..and I'm glad you're alive." I choked out in a laugh before blowing my nose. This was going to be a long night of relieved tears, and questions building up in my head. But he was alive. Changed, and no longer human, that was for certain. But Syn was alive, and I was ecstatic for it!

I would like to apologize for the dry spell of chapters. I've been rather busy as of late. Personal stuff going on.

Sadly, I cannot guarantee that the drought is over. However, I assure you all that I am still trying my best to give chapters that are entertaining, believable, and lengthy.

...as you can see though, lengthy is not a requirement easily met by me, and I'm not sure how believable this chapter is in correlation to Syntax as a character.

This was more of a 'what if' situation, that had to do with Syntax's unknown past. Like, for all we know, he could have had a girlfriend. Or a best friend, or a dog! Maybe a cat. I dunno, he seems like a cat person to me.

Anywhoo! I do hope this chapter suffices for now, and that you all are still enjoying these little stories of mine.

Thank you for your patience and suggestions that you give me. They are greatly appreciated and weighed carefully before writing.

Take care,
G'Night my Stars.

Link for the Song: https://youtu.be/MjEYCUJuh-g?si=-b8sz8Lz9Py03kME