17 ~ A Beautiful View

Each of us grabbed a cube.

"Turkish delight, Huh?" Edmund said chuffed with my choice of confectionery.

I nodded, my jaws glued shut due to the thick, rich texture of the sweet.

We stayed in there and chatted for a while, enjoying what seemed to be in the moment, normality.

___

After our conversations in the chamber we dispersed, Caspian and Susan to archery practice, Peter training the troops and Lucy with the younger Narnians.

Edmund and I, of course, left together. He had agreed to teach Me how to ride a horse on my own, after much pleading.
I followed him through the Fort and out to where the horses were grazing.

We made our way over to a magnificent steed, its golden brown mains reflected the midday sunshine, casting a warm aura where they stood.

"You do remember how to get on, don't you?" Edmund questioned me.

I nodded with a smile, and putting my feet in the stirrups I hoisted my way up onto the saddle, making sure to sit up very straight.

Edmund raised his eyebrows "Good form." And began to Mount the horse also.

I couldn't get what peter had said to me earlier off my mind, I mean I knew I liked Edmund, like a lot. But I didn't think he liked me back?! I didn't even know if what peter said was the truth or if he meant it in a friendly way, but I could not get it out of my head.

"Are you alright?" Edmund chuckled, from behind me, noticing I had sort of zoned out.

"Yes, sorry." I forcibly pushed my thoughts aside "what do I do now, just pull the reins?"

"Sort of" he grinned "but slow down, first of all you need to make sure you are sat properly, you've got perfect posture." He paused "make sure your legs are positioned properly, your heels should be aligned under your hips" and he leaned to the side to check, holding gently onto my waist for balance.

"Okay good" Edmund spoke "Now. The reins." I gripped them firmly, earning a chuckle from behind me "someone's eager" he commented under his breath fully aware that I could hear him.
He wrapped the reins around my hand gently. "To set off, tap the horses side with your heels"

I did as he said and the horse began to gallop across the grassy field.

"Edmund! What am I supposed to do now?!" I panicked as we were moving across the clearing at an alarming pace.

"You finally get to pull the reins, gently. Tell him which way you want to go." He said through a audible smile, over the pounding of hooves.

I cautiously pulled back the reins and was able to maneuverer our steed off the field and down a narrow clearing just off the edge of the field.

I felt so free and youthful riding through the thick forest, my hair began swaying gracefully as we dove through the fresh crisp air, onward into the woodland. I could not help but smile, I felt so close to my father, he had most likely ridden through these woods, feeling as exhilarated as I did. I was undefeatable, able to go anywhere, do anything.

I laughed, sounds of pure joy escaping from my very soul  as we ducked under a draped branch "Ed this is amazing!" 

He chuckled behind me, then gasped slightly.

"What's wrong?!" I questioned keeping my eyes ahead.

"Don't worry," he replied taking hold of the reins over my hands. "I think I know where we are."

And he begun to steer the steed in a path he obviously knew well, transporting us over a small bubbling brook and under low hanging branches, around mossy tree groves and through clearings filled with vibrant wildflowers.