6|Roommate

I'VE LOST MY mind

I'VE LOST MY mind.

That's the only explanation for why I let things go so far between us last night.

I never should have asked her for anything in the car, but how she looked at me... The way she licked her bottom lip? I thought it had insinuated she wanted something, but I was mistaken. I was too weak to throw out the possibility of it. If Emery wanted to act on those thoughts, I was about to let her, and what a fucking mistake that would have been.

I can't be around the woman without needing to be close to her. The cushion between us on the damn couch was too much space, and when her feet settled on my lap, right on top of my cock, there was no way I would let her move. Laying with her and playing video games while she ate tacos felt too natural. I was spiraling right before my eyes, and I needed to stop. Immediately.

Setting up a date was the only thing I could think of to calm these thoughts of her. Everyone thinks I'm this playboy who screws every girl in sight, but that's not true. Women flock to me, and that's not being spoken out of arrogance. It's simply the truth. And any woman I decide to take out knows everything up front. I'm not looking for a relationship, nor do I want one. And that's not because I'm seeking to screw every female I can get my hands on. I'm good being alone. It's what I know. It's what I'm used to. I don't need someone coming in and screwing that up.

I grit my teeth when I remember Emery's fuzzy socks on my lap.

Yeah. It's definitely time for a date.

Chelsey is someone I met at the gym who I've gone out with here and there. We're both on the same page, which is why she's the one I call. I know that with her, I can go out and have a nice dinner, have good sex, and go back to living my normal life when I wake up.

I'll just have Emery right across the hall now.

I'm buttoning the rest of my dress shirt when the knocks sound on the door downstairs. I didn't think Emery was home, but I hear the door open and silence. A lot of silence.

"Uh, hi... I'm Chelsey. Is Everett here?"

Fuck. I'm scrambling to zip my dress pants, grabbing my dress loafers from the closet, when Emery replies, "Yeah. I'll get him."

"Are you his sister?" She asks.

"What? Oh, no. I wish I looked like Izzy. I'm Everett's..." The silence at the end of that sentence is terrifying. "Roommate," she finishes. "I moved in about a week ago."

I'm finally able to thud down the steps, barely having the time to grab my suit jacket as I join them by the front door. "Oh, Everett, there you—" Emery stops talking when she sees me, her eyes grazing down my outfit. She better stop. I swear I'm seconds away from taking her upstairs and fucking that mouth of hers that's currently hanging open.