28|Mine

THIS NIGHT HAS been perfect

There's no other way to describe it.

I danced my heart out with Izzy until my feet felt like they'd fall off, but my eyes kept straying to the side of the dance floor to our table, where Everett sat with his long legs sprawled out in front of him.

He never took his eyes off me. Not once.

After our conversation in the alley, something between us shifted. I can't explain exactly what happened, but it's almost like the connection I've been terrified to acknowledge between us solidified somehow. It set it in stone, making it impossible to ignore, and now, I'm craving to have his arms around me.

But dancing together would mean something more, and am I ready for that? Liam still doesn't know, and Everett and I both have demons we have to work through before committing to this. We've known each other our entire lives, and if we jump right in without being fully prepared, one of us will get hurt, and with us both sharing the same demon, I wouldn't want to cast that pain on anyone.

As the catering staff begins to clean up for the night, I sit at our table, twirling the fancy tablecloth between my fingertips. Most everyone has gone home, but Everett's parents and Izzy still linger to say goodbye to the remaining guests.

I don't want this night to come to an end, and it has nothing to do with living out my Hollywood era but all to do with the man who made it possible. Tonight, I was able to live in an imaginary world where I was his date, and he was mine. Now that it's over, I don't know if we'll get the chance to do it again, and that thought is terrifying.

I take in every last detail of the space, trying to memorize it by heart. The crystal chandeliers, the sparking marble floors, and the bouquets of ivory roses and pearls that take up the entirety of the table. I'm dressed in luxury and feel like a Disney princess, and it's all because of Everett.

Suddenly, Five More Minutes by the Jonas Brothers begins to play softly through the speakers, and when I lift my eyes, seeing Everett standing alone on the dancefloor, his figure becomes blurry from my tears.

"Well?" He extends a hand out toward me. "Are you going to leave me hanging?"

I can't hide my smile as I rush toward him as fast as I can in my heels, flinging my arms around his neck. He chuckles and pulls me flush against him, my head falling on his chest.

"How much did you pay the DJ to stay longer to play this?" I ask.

"Nothing. If he wants a future booking with Cameron Holden, I think it'd be stupid to deny his son of one song request, right?"

I roll my eyes. "You're so arrogant."

"Call me arrogant all you want, but seeing you sit there with that sad pout isn't a way to end the night. I wanted to make you smile again, and I know we're not together Emery, but I care about you, and tonight doesn't have to be the end of us hanging out outside of the house. You know that, right?"