42|Stepping Stone

The night before Izzy's wedding with the Holden family is hectic, to say the least

Elias, Maya, and Ethan flew in earlier today, and they're all sporting bags underneath their eyes from the jet lag. Around the table, Connor is speaking with Mason about a sports game he watched on television last night. Maddie whispers what seems to be sweet nothings into Cameron's ear, and I'm seated between Liam and Everett, feeling awkward as all hell.

It's been torturous not to lean over and grab Everett's hand or squeeze his thigh and whisper those exact words Maddie is telling Cameron. But with Liam seated beside me, it's too much of a risk. Although I'm done caring about what he thinks if we were to be discovered, if he gets pissed, I don't want to ruin Izzy's wedding. Not when she's glowing from across the table—a smile almost as bright as the fire breathers behind her.

I didn't attend the rehearsal since I'm not part of the ceremony. I spent my day sitting by our private pool, reading a book I bought at a gift shop, but the entire time, I couldn't focus on the words. I knew Liam was only a few huts over, and why didn't he seek me out? It seemed like he was avoiding me, but for what purpose, I couldn't be sure. Mason and Everett were busy at rehearsal, so why wouldn't he want to spend time with me?

Guilt gnaws at my insides, festering and taking root deep in my stomach. What if he already found out? What if he's playing nice for the wedding, but as soon as it's over, he won't speak to me again?

Swirling my fork around my plate, Everett nudges me with his knee, gaining my attention. "You've hardly eaten," he says.

"I'm not hungry."

He arches a brow, knowing better than to say disagree. He knows I'm hungry. I'm never not hungry, but I appreciate him keeping the comment to himself. Especially at a table surrounded by his family.

"Oh, Emery." Liam leans back in the tiki chair to fish something out of his pocket, passing it over to me. It's a velvet drawstring bag in navy blue, and as soon as he places it in my hand, he gives me a wink. "I texted you about this, remember?"

Oh.

The bracelet.

I tentatively open the bag, shaking it upside down until the beaded bracelet lands in my palm. It's a sweet gesture, but I don't have time to think about thanking him when I feel Everett's body still beside me. I never told him about the gift, but it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean what Everett is assuming, but I can't exactly explain myself with Liam next to us.

"It's beautiful," I tell him. My heart squeezes tightly when Everett drops his hand with the bracelet I made him into his lap, almost seeming to hide it from view. "As I said, it wasn't necessary, but I appreciate it."

He shrugs as if it's nothing. "I wanted to buy it for you. It's our thing, right?"

We've gained the attention of his entire family now. All eyes are on us, and my tongue feels dry, making it difficult to swallow. "I mean, I make them for everyone important to me, you know?"