34|Talent

EMERY IS IN a frenzy the night before we leave for the Maldives

EMERY IS IN a frenzy the night before we leave for the Maldives. She confessed that she's never been out of the state before, let alone a different country, so she had no idea what to pack. I told her she didn't have to worry, and anything she forgot, we could always buy there, but she wouldn't listen. She's been zooming around the townhouse, grabbing everything in sight for the past two hours.

I'm leaning against the bathroom doorway, watching her pile all of her toiletries into a Ziploc bag with a smile on my face. "They have shampoo and conditioner there."

She rolls her eyes. "You're such a guy. Those products probably suck."

They don't. It's a five-star resort and definitely better quality than the cheap ones she purchased at the grocery store, but I keep my mouth shut, knowing it won't get me on her good list if I mention it.

"Will it rain there? Should I bring a raincoat?"

"Em," I say with a breathy laugh, "we'll buy a poncho or stay inside if it rains. You don't need a raincoat."

She's biting on her thumbnail, looking around to ensure she didn't forget anything. "I'm just nervous, okay? I've never even been on a plane before! I have no clue what to expect. Plus, this is the first time I've ever requested off of work and school. It's stressful."

Taking two steps to close the distance between us, I hold her at arm's length, rubbing the pads of my thumbs against her shoulders. "And everyone was fine with it, right? Your professors gave you all of your assignments, and your jobs practically pushed you out the door to enjoy yourself for once. Everything is going to be fine."

She blinks up at me, and those brown eyes will melt me every time. "Why aren't you nervous?"

"Probably because I've traveled before. Also, I know that when we get there, I'll be able to see you in whatever swimsuit you bring, and that's enticing enough for me to fucking skydive into the Maldives."

"You're ridiculous, you know that?" She's still biting on her thumbnail, so I let out a sigh and say, "You want to get the raincoat, don't you?"

She nods.

"Alright. Want me to run to Target and grab one for you?"

"No, I've got it. I want to pick it out myself. You've already purchased an entire wardrobe for me. The least I can get is a raincoat." She leans up to give me a quick kiss. "I'll be back soon."

"Alright. Call me if you need anything." I watch her go, and the urge to say love you is so strong that I have to bite down on my tongue to keep the words at bay.

But suddenly, she's back in view, her eyes wide and cheeks flushed when she asks, "Do you still love the bracelet?"

Fuck if her words aren't a punch to my gut. They knock the wind out of me, and a rush of relief floods my nerves. "Still love the bracelet," I reassure, waving my wrist with said bracelet around it. "Can't get enough of the bracelet, actually."