7|Say It

THE KEYS TO Everett's range rover were sitting on the counter this morning beside another english muffin

THE KEYS TO Everett's range rover were sitting on the counter this morning beside another english muffin. He had four cars in the luxurious parking garage, and each one looked way too expensive for me to drive. Granted, it wasn't like I wasn't a good driver or anything, but mistakes happen every day. What if some old woman backed into it? What if a student nicked the car door with theirs? Everett would kill me. Probably murder me.

Still, I'll take advantage of the opportunity to have a free car to drive and get an extra few minutes of sleep without taking the twenty-minute walk. For once, I arrived on time to class this morning, and Sam seems shocked, dipping his chin in approval. "And you had time to get coffee?" He arches a brow as he stares at the foam cup in my hand. "I'm impressed."

I roll my eyes and sit between him and Everett, gathering my textbooks and pens. Even sitting beside the brooding man, I still feel that weird energy race between us. The heat of his gaze is agonizing, and when I glance up, he's eyeing my outfit like he wants to peel it off of me. I'm trying to understand why. It's just leggings and a cropped hoodie.

"Lana's boyfriend is throwing his annual beginning-of-semester party," Sam says to gain my attention again. "She begged me before class to try and convince you to come."

"It's never worked before," I reply.

With an exasperated sigh, he rests his head against a curled fist, elbow propped up on the desk. "Why don't you like to party? What is the worst thing that could happen? You get laid for once?"

Everett stills beside me.

"No, Sam. The worst thing that could happen is the police get called, I get caught, and then I say goodbye to my scholarship." People like Sam and Lana don't get it. They will never get it. Their parents are either CEOs of major companies or entrepreneurs with more real estate than they knew what to do with. They can afford to get caught and earn a slap on the wrist. I can't.

"Lameeee," Sam whines. "What do I have to do to convince you to come?"

Everett clears his throat roughly and rolls his chair closer to mine. "Did you enjoy driving my car to school this morning?" He asks rather loudly.

I narrow my eyes, trying to figure out what the actual fuck he's playing at. He never talks to me to start a conversation. "Um... Yes? Thank you. It's insanely nice."

He nods. "Good. When you get home, park it next to the Bugatti."

Home.

When I get home?

So many unanswered questions are in my mind, but with Sam sitting beside me, it's not time to ask any of them. All I can do is dip my chin to let him know I understand, just in time for Sam to elbow me secretly in the side.

"What the hell? You're living with him? Why am I just now finding out about this?"

"Sh." I point to the front, where the professor is setting up. "Class is starting."