31|Chaos

THE SILENCE OVER the room is deafening

Everett's mom and Izzy are swiping away their tears as they stare at the full-toothed grin sprawled on Everett's face. I've had the time to adjust to his smiles, but this must be the first time his family is seeing it.

Thankfully, Connor clears his throat and says, "Dad, you up for a game of football?"

The energy over the room shifts into a more comfortable silence, and Cameron first looks at his wife. He studies her in a way that can only be interpreted as true love. "Is that alright with you, Mads? I don't want to leave you alone with dinner."

Maddie smiles, ushering him out the door. "I'll be fine," she says. "Besides, I've got another helper now."

I continue my work chopping an onion, thankful Everett showed me how to mince one a few days ago. Otherwise, I would have downright embarrassed myself.

Cameron and Connor head for the door, but they stop in their tracks when Everett clears his throat and slowly turn to look at him. "Do you, uh, have room for one more?"

I'm frozen with the knife in my hand, hovering above the cutting board. Judging by the silence looming between them, this doesn't happen often, and if I'm not mistaken, I swear I hear a tiny gasp escape Maddie's mouth.

"Of course," Cameron replies. His eyes are glassy as he opens up the back door. "Do you remember how to play?"

With a dip of his chin, Everett follows them outside, and as soon as I'm alone with his mother and sister, I'm bombarded with their arms around me, stealing the breath from my lungs. They're both a sobbing mess in our group hug, and I set the knife down slowly on the cutting board, unsure of how to respond.

It's not that I'm not an emotional person because I am, but when I'm not sure why people are crying, I have no clue how to console them.

Thankfully, Maddie spares me the embarrassment of asking when she says, "You have no idea how long it's been since he's wanted to do anything with Cameron or how long it's been since he's smiled."

He promised to try and get to the brighter side, and he's making the first step by playing football with his dad. I'm proud of him, and Maddie and Izzy thank me over and over again for it. "It's not all me," I say. "He's the one who wanted to go and play football with them."

"Yeah, but you influenced it," Izzy adds. "Your opinion means a lot to him, and ever since you started staying there..." She laughs in disbelief. "He's an entirely different person, and that's good. He's my little brother again."

Their crying makes me tear up, too, and I hate crying. But the love they share for Everett is contagious. The love this family has in general, is contagious. It's obvious how much they care for one another, and although Everett may have difficulty showing it, I know he cares for them, too.