40|Safe Place

I thought when I agreed to hang out at the pool bar on the mainland with Liam, Mason, and my brother, we'd just relax and drink beer all day

I thought when I agreed to hang out at the pool bar on the mainland with Liam, Mason, and my brother, we'd just relax and drink beer all day. What I didn't calculate for was Izzy and Emery to drink, too. And while they've been at the other side of the pool for most of the day, it's taking all my energy to keep my eyes off Emery.

She's wearing a black one-piece that cuts right down the center of her chest, stopping at the middle of her stomach. Her breasts are outlined perfectly, and, honestly, I haven't wanted to see what that swimsuit looks like on her from the back. I'm terrified I'll get a hard-on at the bar, and how am I supposed to explain that?

"Surprised you haven't made a move yet," Liam hums. I almost spit out my drink until I realize he's speaking to Connor. My brother, who is on the barstool to the right of Liam, continues scanning the crowd of women as if searching for someone. "What? None of them fit your criteria?"

Connor rolls his eyes and takes a swig of his beer. "I'm not that much of a dick, despite what you're implying."

"I couldn't tell," Mason adds, waving a hand over Connor's outfit. My brother's abs are freshly oiled, beaming from the sunlight, and his shorts look about two sizes too small. "Don't worry, you'll have women flocking to you in no time. I give it five minutes."

"I'm not looking to get laid," Connor replies. We all pause with our drinks in hand, waiting for the punchline, but only mariachi music fills the silence. "What?" He asks, noticing our expressions. "We're having a guys' day. I just want to chill."

"That's never stopped you before," Liam teases, "and you've undoubtedly been scanning the crowd as if you're looking for someone." After a few seconds, realization dawns on him, his eyes growing wide. "Unless there's a certain someone you're hoping to see?"

I have never, in all my twenty-three years of life, seen my brother blush, but his cheeks are turning redder by the second, and it's not a sunburn.

"Oh my god, there is!" Mason says. "Holy shit. I never thought I'd see the day. She made that much of an impact, huh?"

Connor scoffs. "Don't make it seem like she was just—" He sighs, running a hand through his curls. "Fuck. I don't know. I think I'm losing it."

I continue sipping my beer, remaining silent. I've never been the one to carry the conversation. Honestly, I'd prefer not to be in group gatherings like this. The only reason I'm here is because I was forced to be here. If given the choice, I'd be balls deep in Emery back in our hut for the remainder of the day. Not discussing my brother's hookup.

Liam claps him on the back. "That's love, man. It sneaks up on you when you least expect it."

Or festers for an eternity, I mentally add, for your ex, in particular.

"What's her name?" Mason asks.

Connor winces. "She didn't give me one. It was like..." He shakes his head. "Like she didn't want me to know who she was. We met at the beach bash, and I brought her back to my hut, but this morning when I woke up, she was gone. I didn't get her name."