CH-12: A Darker Side

If you want to read up to 7+ chapters ahead go to my Patreón: Darkwolfest.

-------

"I need a room for the night."

I stated as the old lady at the reception reluctantly lifted her head from her book, clearly annoyed by the interruption.

She slowly set her book aside and rolled her chair over to me, shooting me judgmental glances.

Her eyes fixated on the black-eyed Symbiote mask covering my own.

"Why are you wearing a mask?" she asked, her gaze filled with curiosity.

"Early Halloween." I replied with an air of nonchalance.

She blinked, taken aback by my response.

"It's June." She pointed out.

"...Very early Halloween." I shrugged, not bothered by her observation. I glanced around the hotel, assessing its condition. "Any rooms available?"

"I'll need to see some ID." She raised an eyebrow, reaching for the register.

"How about this?" I pulled out a twenty-dollar bill from my bag and slapped it on the table. "You keep that, and no ID required."

She stared at me coldly for a moment before slowly accepting the money and closing the register.

Without saying another word, she flung a key at me, which I deftly caught in my hand.

"Have a pleasant stay." She muttered under her breath as I made my way up the stairs.

I didn't bother to look back, instead continuing my ascent until I reached the second floor.

Unlocking the door to my room, I stepped inside and took a moment to survey the space.

It wasn't too shabby for twenty bucks, but I wasn't planning on sticking around for long.

Approaching the window, I gazed out at the Empire State Building, standing tall and majestic.

A reminder that I was still in New York City.

My original plan had been to flee the city as quickly as possible but as I wandered the streets earlier tonight, I realised just how foolish that idea was.

I didn't have the funds necessary to sustain myself or to travel elsewhere.

All I had was a measly $112 in pocket money, and I had already spent $20 of it.

I need to build a solid foundation of wealth if I want to train my skills and for my plans to become a reality.

And that meant it was time to take a few drug dealers off the streets.

Unzipping my bag, I retrieved Uncle Ben's old jacket that I had taken before leaving the house and donned it over Venom's suit.

It gave me a look akin to the hoodie version of Miles Morales from 'Into the Spider-Verse.'