CH-19: Friend or Foe?

If you want to read up to 15+ chapters ahead go to my Patreón: Darkwolfest.

Special mentions:

•Dragon Cross

•AJ

•Benoît Valtin

-------

The warm stream of water ran across my face as I stood in the shower, relishing the silence. I casually tousled my long, uncut hair, watching as the droplets cascaded down.

It had been two days since the heist in Washington D.C. I returned to New York and settled back into my room, leaving Caliban to handle the rest.

The two million dollars marked the end of my job here in New York. I reminded myself of this as I stepped into the shower, knowing that I would only be in the city for a few more hours.

My flight was already booked, and all the necessary documents were laid out on the bed. My bag stood packed in the corner, ready to go.

I turned off the tap, gradually cutting off the flow of water. I paused for a moment, allowing the remaining drops to fall before reaching for the towel.

Stepping out of the shower into the room, the chilly air of the city rushed against my face.

My eyes instinctively darted toward the open window.

With the towel wrapped around my waist, I approached the window and leaned over the glass, gazing at the bustling cityscape with a nostalgic smile.

The cold air sent shivers through my wet body, causing my hairs to stand on end. I closed the window and walked over to the bed, beginning to get dressed.

A moment later, I stood in front of the mirror, observing my reflection. The white jacket over my plain black shirt swayed as I moved around and the track pants felt strangely loose.

After securing the documents and swinging the backpack over my shoulder, I slowly made my way toward the door. Multiple thoughts about the months I had spent in this room rushed through my mind.

I turned back and gave it one last glance, the television I had never turned on, the stack of newspapers in the corner, the neatly made low bed and the creaking wooden walls.

I had become accustomed to the view from the window and the faceless neighbour with their peculiar taste in music whom I had never met. It was time to leave them all behind.

"Venom." I called out, and the symbiote slithered over my body, concealing itself beneath the clothes, leaving me clad in the black suit.

I closed the door and began to walk out, my footsteps echoing through the wooden staircase as I descended the hotel floor.

As I reached the ground floor, my gaze landed on old lady Claire. As usual, her television blared loudly and her eyes remained fixated on the screen.

Part of me wanted to leave without bothering her, but another part insisted on not letting her have peace before I departed.

"I would like to check out." I said, standing before the reception desk.

Claire sighed, tearing her eyes away from the screen for a moment. She paused the Judge Judy show and slowly approached the table, her perpetual frown etched on her face.

"So, you've finally decided to run along, huh?" She asked, snatching the keys from the table.

"Maybe." I shrugged, glancing over my shoulder at the bag.

"Hmph, thought I'd have to fetch the old broom from the cupboard to get rid of you." She snorted as she hung the key on the board.

As she turned around, I had a hundred-dollar bill ready in my hand. She raised her eyebrows upon noticing the money.