CH-24: Sleight Of Hands

If you want to read up to 15+ chapters ahead go to my Patreón: Darkwolfest.
-------

Inside the strangely luminous Study, illuminated solely by the grand chandelier. I settled into a comfortable position.

The nap had managed to revive me from the exhaustion of the morning training regimen.

Although still fatigued, I knew that Fox had a meticulous routine in place.

He focused on training my body in the first half of the day and my mind in the latter.

In the short time I had known him, it was clear that he despised idleness and wasted time.

He always kept me engaged, be it through reading historical books or learning new skills.

"Today, we shall begin at the bottom rung of the ladder in the world of thieves." Fox announced with a sly smirk, his fingers gracefully dancing in the air. "The pickpocket."

"Alright." I leaned forward eagerly, folding my hands on the desk.

"A pickpocket must possess two fundamental skills all thieves require." Fox began, gesturing dramatically with his finger. "Sleight of hand and the art of distraction."

I listened intently, my eyes fixed on him as he paced around the Study, enlightening me about the intricacies of the pickpocket profession.

"These skills are essential for any aspiring thief to master, lest they find themselves behind bars or in even graver circumstances." He emphasized his words.

"First, we have the distraction. While the sleight of hand remains relatively consistent, the art of distraction varies with each situation." He explained, retrieving a deck of cards from his jacket pocket and deftly shuffling them.

"Observe." He presented a queen of spades momentarily before returning it to the deck and shuffling again.

"Distraction is a form of deception, and deception is the most potent weapon in a thief's arsenal."

He spread the deck out on the desk, the cards overlapping one another.

"Choose one." Fox directed his gaze towards the array of cards.

I sighed, allowing my eyes to scan the deck in search of a card that felt right, even though there seemed to be no correct or incorrect choice.

Eventually, I selected a random card and sneaked a peek.

It was the 9 of clubs.

"Remember that card." He instructed, flashing a grin before stepping back to a certain distance. "Now, I'm going to steal that very card from your grasp."

"Really?" I scoffed, clutching the card tightly.

"I most certainly will." He winked, returning to the desk in front of me.

He placed the cards on the desk and resumed speaking.

"Deception begins with lies." He stated matter-of-factly.

"V, everyone lies. No matter how insignificant, every person harbors a goal they wish to achieve and resorts to lies to attain it." He sighed, shaking his head.

"As I mentioned before, deception is a weapon, a blade forged of sharp lies. However, it is the wielder who determines the potency of this weapon, whether it be a soldier's brass or a god's orichalcum."

"Stand up." He instructed, and I complied without questioning his request.

"Now, I'm gonna approach you and steal the card." He declared, making a bold claim that raised my eyebrows.