CH-29: Made A Promise, Got To Deliver

You want to read up to 5+ chapters ahead go to my Patreón: Darkwolfest.

-------

The mansion was eerily quiet as I made my way down its lengthy corridor, a cup of coffee clasped firmly in my hand. With each stride, I took a sip, relishing the rich warmth while my gaze wandered over the snow-covered expanse of the lawn.

The door to the study creaked open as I stepped inside, my footsteps echoing through the room. Fox sat at his desk, his gaze fixed on a stack of papers. He looked up as I entered, a hint of surprise in his eyes.

"Morning Fox." I greeted, taking a seat across from him.

"Morning Ed." He nodded, focusing back on his documents.

"Ah… whatcha working on?" I leaned against the edge of the desk, crossing my arms.

"I'm.. uh, I'm just putting things in order." He sighed, his gaze drifting towards the window. "I have to leave for a couple of days."

I raised an eyebrow, curious. "Oh? What's the matter?"

Fox hesitated for a moment before responding. "It's an old friend's funeral, somebody I owe a debt to, got to pay my final respects."

I couldn't help but feel a twinge of doubt. Fox rarely revealed personal matters, and the timing seemed too convenient. But I trusted him, or at least I wanted to.

"Sorry to hear that, Fox." I said sincerely and stepped closer. "Need any help?"

"No, I'm done." He shook his head and immediately stacked the papers. "Just make sure to keep things cordinal while I'm away."

As he spoke, I noticed a flicker of unease in his eyes. It was subtle, but enough to raise my suspicion further. Deep down, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to this trip than a simple funeral.

"Are you sure about that?" I raised an eyebrow, casting a skeptical gaze. "I would have believed your story if I didn't know you so well. So, what's really going on?"

Fox played his part, feigning confusion as he looked at me. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

I held his gaze, unyielding. "Well, for starters, you give us gifts exactly two weeks before Christmas. And there's your absence from dinner the past two nights. I initially thought Felicia took the upgraded decoder from my room this morning, but now it seems there's another culprit. So, tell me, Fox, what's the truth?"

A conflicted expression washed over his face as he smiled with a hint of pride. "As observant as ever."

"Thanks." I nodded, maintaining my resolve.

"Well, you're not entirely wrong." He admitted, his voice softer. "But I didn't exactly lie either. The funeral is part of the plan, but there's also a heist I've been planning for the past six months. It's a custom job, you know how it goes. Made a promise, and now I have to deliver. I'm sorry for not informing you earlier."

"There is no need to be sorry." I shrugged, I wasn't even bothered that he was going on a heist alone, I just felt weird that he didn't inform us about it. "It's just odd that you didn't say anything."

"I knew you wouldn't have been bothered by it." He smiled. "Just keep it between us."

"Why not tell Felicia?" I asked.

"Not tell me what?" Felicia blurted out as she brust into the study, her voice filled with a mix of excitement and admiration. "You are going on a heist."

"Yes." Fox shoulder's slumped as he admitted.

"Why?" She asked uncertainty.

"Because you would want to join." He replied, folding his arms against his chest, taking a stiff stance already giving a vibe of rejection.