2.

~•~•~•~𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥

~•~•~•~
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥.
~•~•~•~

"Melanie? Is that you?" Cato asks again. I didn't expect him to actually pick up the phone. Hearing his voice after a month is definitely a strange thing for me. A few more seconds pass without him getting an answer, instead, I involuntarily let out a small sob. "Melanie, I know it's you. Can you tell me what's going on?"

"I-I..." I'm having trouble breathing again. "I..."

"Okay, I got it. I want you to listen carefully, and try to focus on my voice. You think you can do it?" My hands are shaking, I can barely hold the phone. Cato, however, seems to understand what is going on. Is it because he gets nightmares too?

"Yes, I-I think I can," I answer.

"Well, I guess you're alone right now... um..." I can feel the uncertainty in his voice. I bet it's because Cato is not used to dealing with this type of stuff. "Can you start thinking about something nice, something that calms you down?"

I'm starting to think about things. The first thought that comes to mind is my parents, but then I think of the day they told me they were dead. I shake those thoughts away and start thinking about something else. I remember my first kiss with Cato, but then I remember the dream I had a while ago. That doesn't help.

"Cato, I can't..."

"Okay, well then, we'll try with something else... Do you want to just talk, like we did on the rooftop?"He asks.

"Okay..." I answer in a slightly calmer voice. Maybe talking to him is what calms me down.

"For starters, how do you spend your life like you know... like a victor? Was your best friend happy to see you?"

I flashback to the moment the train arrived in District 12. Layla couldn't wait to see me, I remember throwing herself into my arms the moment she saw me. Everyone was so happy to see me, her mom and Gale greeted me with hugs too.

"Yes, she couldn't believe that I'm alive," I say and smile a little. It works, I'm starting to feel more relieved.

"Is she living with you now?" Cato asks.

"No, but she often stays home to sleep so I'm not alone. I had offered her family to come live with me, but Gale wouldn't accept-" Just as I said it I realized that Cato had never actually heard a word about Gale. "I mean her brother, Gale is Layla's brother," I explain.

I didn't intend for Cato to know about him. Not because I have anything to hide, but just thinking about how he reacted when he heard Peeta's interview, it's better for him not to know. There are a few seconds of silence.