18.

~•~•~•~𝐌𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬?~•~•~•~

~•~•~•~
𝐌𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬?
~•~•~•~

We have caught the attention of the monkeys who seem to have set their sights on us as their next meal. Since when do monkeys eat people? Since never. It's just that the ones here are special.

I free my hand from Cato's and I reach for an arrow from mу quiver, careful not to make a sound as I grip it tightly. The monkeys become more aggressive as they growl, showing their bare teeth. I also notice their claws, which are like knife blades, and this is definitely not in our favor.

"Get to the beach," I say.

Three monkeys approach us, trapping us in a tight circle. I aim my arrow towards one but quickly redirect it to another. Even if I kill one, the others will remain. Suddenly, one jumps at my back, but Cato saves me by stabbing it.

Then another walks towards me and I pierce it with an arrow. So I kill two more, and Cato stabs them with the sword. Finnick and Haymitch also kill a few, but still, the mutts keep respawning.

I see a monkey lunging at Haymitch and I shoot it with the arrow. The horrible smell of blood is in the air, and it's going to make me want to throw up. I can't fight these mutts anymore, they keep coming out of nowhere and pouncing on you, trying to kill you.

And just then, one of them jumps all over me and dunks me in the water. I manage to push it away for a moment to catch my breath, but the monkey is too heavy.

"Cato!" I scream. Then I'm back in the water.

I fight the monkey that is trying to bite my face off. I'm afraid I'm going to die from drowning because I know I won't be able to hold my breath much longer. The monkey bares its huge teeth as I try to keep it as far away from me as possible.

Then the monkey's weight suddenly eases and I push it off of me. I feel arms wrap around my waist and they lift me back out of the water. Cato greets me with a slightly frightened look but then pushes me forward towards the beach.

"We gotta get to the beach!" Cato says. 

We both run, me grabbing Haymitch's arm as well. The monkeys continue to chase us and Cato stabs them with his sword. I'm out of arrows, and I don't have time to take the other from Cato's back. Then one of the monkeys jumps onto his back and he drops the sword.

Oh, shit.

They surround him in a small circle, and I wonder what to do. I have no arrows, and Cato has no sword. What now? One of them jumps at him, but then their collision is interrupted by some other person.

As soon as I get right next to them, I kick the monkey with my foot, trying to get it out of there. I see the tribute covered in blood and screaming in pain. She has blended in with nature here, that's why it was so hard for me to tell if this was a real tribute or some other mutt. Then I see her dilated pupils and immediately guess who it is.