17.

~•~•~•~𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐚 𝐢𝐬 𝐟𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝

~•~•~•~
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐚 𝐢𝐬 𝐟𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝.
~•~•~•~

"Run! The fog is poisonous!" I scream in pain. For a moment I manage to look at my hand and find it all covered in blisters.

Finnick immediately wakes up and throws Mags onto his back. Haymitch also wakes up and starts running in the opposite direction, and Cato gets on his feet, but I can see he hasn't completely woken up. That's why I grab his arm and pull him forward.

Cato quickly realizes what's going on and starts running ahead of me. I know he might not have enough energy due to the force field hit, so I'd rather have him in front of me. The fog, however, quickly catches up with us, which is not good at all.

We run as fast as we can, but It's not enough. If we don't escape, the fog will overtake us. Haymitch is already struggling, screaming in pain from the contact with the mist. I run to help him, with Cato following me.

I help Haymitch to his feet, but the mist burns my neck and I fall to the ground. Cato immediately helps me and lets me run in front of him. But the pain is unbearable. I trip, stagger, and fall to the ground several times, each time Cato grabs my arm to pull me back up. At least Haymitch managed to get away and he is a few meters ahead of us.

"Come on, Melanie!" Cato says. I stand up and start running as fast as I can. The fact that it's night definitely doesn't help us.

I look to my side for a moment to see Finnick screaming in pain with Mags on his back. Cato, however, got burned a few times while helping me up, but I didn't think it was that serious at the time. I was wrong. Cato falls forward on his stomach.

"Cato, let's go-" I prompt him. Then I turn him to face me and I gasp.

I get shocked when I see it. His entire face is covered in blisters and almost no part of his true appearance is left. Cato writhes on the ground and I look at him with eyes full of fear. Finnick catches up to us and Mags gets off his back. I catch a glimpse of Haymitch, who also falls to the ground from the scalding, which means we're done.

"I can't carry him," I say to Finnick. "Cato, please stand up..." 

And then something happens very quickly. Mags stands up and kisses Finnick on the lips, like a goodbye kiss. 

"Mags?" Finnick asks scared. "Mags! Mags! No!" He goes to stop her but I grab his arm and stop him. Then she limps off into the mist. 

"Finnick, we have to go," I say. I hear Haymitch yelling, which means we need to help him too. "We have to get out of here." Finnick realizes quickly.