8.

~•~•~•~
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐥 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐲.
~•~•~•~

"Remember, you have to make people empathize with you, put them in your shoes. They have to see how devastated you are that you had to lose your friend to save the love of your life," Haymitch tells me.

"What if I don't make it? What if they hate me for what I did to Peeta?" I ask.

"That's not an option."

I remember my conversation with Haymitch this morning as I walk onto the stage with Cato. And here he is, Peeta, the boy I could have saved instead of Cato. My eyes rest on his family, who I haven't seen since the Games ended. His father used to buy my squirrels and come with Peeta, but now he hasn't come once.

I get numb and forget everything I had prepared for a speech. I stand in front of the microphone, but my words don't come out. I look over at Haymitch, who gives me a "come on" look, but I can also see the pain in his eyes. I know he liked Peeta as a person, and I'm sure he doesn't like watching him right now either.

"I um..." I try to start but fail. I look over at Cato, and I can tell by his expression that he knows I'm having a hard time right now. "I'm sorry, I don't even know how to start..."

"Take it easy," He whispers. I see that all eyes are fixed on me and waiting for what I will say. I take a breath and tell myself I can do it.

"Peeta was truly a special one that I had the opportunity to know," I begin. "He didn't deserve to go through this and now I can't believe he's not with us anymore. I don't say that just as a tribute but as his friend. I couldn't help but become friends with his genuine and loving soul, which I still miss until now."

I can feel my eyes watering. How do I explain what kind of person Peeta was when I have a lump in my throat? And while looking into his eyes, it's even more difficult.

"I wish he had made it out of the arena. I'm sorry I didn't save him," I say and feel a tear roll down my cheek. I know I have more to say but I can't go on.

I look at Haymitch and he gives me an approving nod. I think I made it, it's all over. That's what I think until I see Cato trying to say something. Oh, no.

"I know I don't have the right to say anything about Peeta, but I want his family to know. I respect his loss and I will respect it for the rest of my days because I know that if it wasn't for him I might not be here now. I'm sorry you have to go through all this now." Cato says and I see people give him appreciative looks.

What was that? Did Cato say that he actually respects a tribute, and it's Peeta? The guy he got mad at for saying in his interview that he liked me? I don't know what shocked me more. The fact that Cato appreciated Peeta as a person, or that he admitted it to all these people.

People are sending us and luckily, we don't have problems with the peacekeepers like in some of the other Districts. Okay, everything went well. Now I just hope President Snow thinks so too. I guess we'll find out tomorrow at the Capitol party.

~•~

While we travel to the Capitol, all I can think about is that at least for one day I won't have to think about whether Cato and I are doing things right. At least the people there trust us completely with the love story and the only thing we are required to do is to do what we normally do. I can't believe I'm so glad I'm going to the Capitol.

When we arrive, we are dressed in the clothes that the stylists have prepared for us in advance. Effie, as always, begins with her lectures, but on the one hand, I understand her because she has been waiting for this moment all her life. However, unlike her, Cato's escort takes the upcoming party in a very calm and normal manner.