6.

~•~•~•~𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐞𝐱𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮~•~•~•~

~•~•~•~
𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐞𝐱𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮
~•~•~•~

I've been in the shower for almost an hour now. I'm trying to think about what happened. An innocent man was killed because of my words and now he is gone. I'm locked in the bathroom and I don't feel like coming out anytime soon. However, Cato doesn't think so.

"Melanie, get out of the bathroom, please!" He yells as he bangs on the door. I haven't spoken to anyone since I talked to Haymitch. I don't want to talk about what happened, it's enough that I have to live with it. "You've been in for an hour now."

I let him knock on the door a little longer. After ten more minutes, I decide it's time to leave, hoping I don't run into anyone. I wrap my body in one of the towels and open the door.

When I do it, Cato immediately comes to me. I don't allow myself to look him in the eye because he'll know what I've been doing in the bathroom for so long. I can even feel how much my eyes hurt from all that crying.

"What the hell happened, Melanie? You're not talking to me and you've been standing in the bathroom for over an hour," Cato looks angry, but I have no desire to argue with him. "What did you and Haymitch talk about that got you so upset?"

"I'm not upset," I reply

"Yeah, and I'm blind and can't see what's going on. Is it because of what happened in the District?"

"What do you think, Cato? An innocent person died because of me," I say as I walk into my room. He follows me as well.

"It's not your fault the peacekeepers shot him. There's nothing we can do about what happened." If only he knew the danger we are in. Killing this man is just the beginning of something I'm not sure I want to find out how it will end.

"This shouldn't happen again," I say anxiously. Cato looks surprised by the sudden worry that shows on my face.

"Wait, what? Melanie," He looks at me and I look back uncertainly. "What will happen if this happens again?" Cato asks.

I start looking down at the ground, trying to form the right sentence. He mustn't know about the kiss or things will get worse.

"Melanie, talk to me."

"Snow, he um... he doesn't believe our love story. He thinks most of the Districts don't believe us either and will riot because of it," I confess. The boy looks like he's learning about this stuff for the first time.

"Why shouldn't he believe us? That's exactly what we do, we don't even pretend."

I can't tell him. I can't tell him. Cato will get angry and do something that will make things worse.