12.

~•~•~•~𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

~•~•~•~
𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠.
~•~•~•~

He wants to save me? But, why in this way, now one of us will surely die. If he hadn't volunteered, there was a chance we'd both be alive.

"Cato, we're screwed now. I could have won and come back to you, so we'd both be alive," I say. I'm angry that he blew the only chance we had.

"Yeah, but what if something happens to you and someone kills you in the arena? I won't even be there to protect you, I'll just watch you die through the screen," Cato replies, and I can tell by his expression that he really means what he says. For the first time, I see his side of things and I kind of get it. if I were in his position, I would feel the same way.

"I'd have been fine on my own." Honestly, I don't really know how well I would have been, but at least I would have known that Cato would live.

"Melanie, there was no way I was going to leave you alone with Haymitch in the arena, who will get tired after a hundred meters of running," Cato says. Yeah, I can agree with him on that but in the last Games, I was fine on my own.

"And now what? One of us will die, you know that, right?"

"I don't care if I die, if that means you're alive," He says. So he would really sacrifice himself for me. As I would for him.

The two of us stay a little longer on the rooftop, talking about various things about life. I can see that there is a change in Cato, he is not the same as he was a year ago. This only makes me fall in love with him even more. I realize that what I feel for him is strong and his every positive change makes me feel like the happiest person. Why does the Hunger Games have to ruin everything we have?

Honestly, now that I know the circumstances, I wish I had been happy about the engagement. At least to enjoy this emotion that I will never be able to truly experience. I wish there was no President Snow and no Hunger Games. Just us.

~•~

Cato goes to bed with me, both of us exhausted from the day. He rests his head on my chest and I play with his hair. Cato wraps his arms around my stomach and pulls me close. Oh, what I wouldn't do to stay in this moment forever.

"I want to be with you for all the time I have left," He mumbles. 

"Me too," I reply.

"Why should we go to training tomorrow? We'd better stay in bed all day. Just the two of us." His offer is tempting, but I know it's in our best interest to get to know the rest of the tributes. Most of them, I haven't seen their Games because I wasn't born yet, which reminds me that I should ask Effie to play me the copies of their Games.