Birthday Surprise(Jing Yuan/ Daiyu)

Daiyu is my oc. She is a black panther beastwoman who is close friends with Jing Yuan and has fire element

Daiyu was on her way to Jing Yuan after being texted by him to come. Once she entered his office, she found him on his desk, bored out of his mind as he filled out the papers on his desk.

"General Jing Yuan. You summoned me?" She asked him, her voice breaking his focus as he glanced up at her. Once she was in his view, he ducked his head under the desk like he was picking something up. One of the panther's ears tilted down, and her head tilted in confusion at what he was doing. He stood up, and began to approach her, his arms behind his back.

"Yes. I did. As you know, Daiyu, today is actually a very important day" he told her calmly but seriously. Her eyes widened as her mind wandered around on what today is. Was there something she missed? She was usually on top of everything. "Pardon me, general. But what is today, exactly?" She asked him. The panther was embarrassed that she had to ask him on something she was supposed to know but forgot somehow.

"You don't remember?" He asked her, a bit surprise, and she shook her head. That's when he let that usual, relaxed smile of his appearance. Something was up. She can sense it. "Well, I expected out of anyone that you would know what today is..." he said, his arms from behind moving out to reveal a surprise that made Daiyu's green eyes widen.

"Happy birthday, Daiyu"

In front of her, a bouquet of white and violet blue flowers appeared in his hand. Once she got over her surprise, she smiled big, and took the bouquet. "Jing Yuan! Thank you!" The leopard told him, really happy as she sniffed them. The white haired general smiled fondly, glad to see her mood brighten. Especially after what happened the day before.

Daiyu's ears perked up as she thought of something, turning back to him. "Wait. How did you know today was my birthday?" She asked suspiciously, wondering if someone had told him. There were only two people she could think of. Yanqing, because she told him yesterday about her birthday, and Fu Xuan, who also was there yesterday.

"You did. I was just merely walking the other day when I overhead your conversation with Yanqing...." he leaned on his desk, explains the story of he found out...

Flashback...

Outside in the garden, Jing Yuan was walking on the bridge. He sought fresh air to escape Diviner Fu's nagging him on his duties, and trying to convince him to retire early.

"Wait. Tomorrow's your birthday, Daiyu?"

"Hm?" He stopped in his tracks, recognizing that voice belonged to his student. His golden eyes glanced over, seeing Yanqing, and Daiyu below the cherry blossom trees. They were sitting on the grass, talking. "Why didn't you tell me, sooner? I would've gotten you a gift earlier if I knew" he whined, upset about this.

"It's ok, Yanqing. I wasn't planning to do anything on my birthday, honestly. Besides, I'm working tomorrow" she explained to him, feeling something soft nudge her cheek. The black panther turned to find Mimi facing her, seeking attention. She smiled softly at the large white lion, moving her hands to scratch behind his ears.

Yanqing frowned, not glad to hear that. His eyes widen at an idea. "What about Jing Yuan? He'll understand" he suggested, excited. Unaware his teacher was listening. Jing Yuan leaned against the rail of bridge, listening in with curiosity.

"General Jing Yuan might be easygoing. But he has a lot on his plate. I'm not gonna bug him with something as small as this" she explained, moving her hands to rub Mimi's belly when the lion rolled on his back for more affection.

That only made the general frowned. 'Why would she think that? It wouldn't be any trouble. Besides, it be more easier than any of the things Xianzhou would request from me' he thought in his head.

"Besides. This year might be different"

He glanced back at Daiyu, noticing her face was sadden. It then hit him. This would be the first birthday that her mother would not be there to celebrate it. He noticed how Yanqing tilted his head, confused on what she was referring to. But Jing Yuan's face soften at her symphatically. He understood how she felt to loose a close one by their own hands. Especially to the mara. Moving off the the bridge, his eyed moved to his student.

"Yanqing! Can you come here for a moment?" He called out, catching their attention. "Coming, general!" He yelled back, hopping onto his feet, and heading over. Daiyu remained where she was, showering Mimi with affection and cooing at him. "Yes general?" He said, arriving at the bridge. That's when he noticed Jing Yuan wearing that sneaky relaxed smirk of his. "How would you like to help me in something Yanqing?"

Flashback ended...

"So, today I am giving you the day off to enjoy your birthday" he finished his explanation, making the panther turn back to him. "Uh...general. I had my day off two days straight. If anyone, especially Diviner Fu heard about this, they would be asking questions, or-"

"Are you rejecting an offer from me, Daiyu? The general of Xianzhou?" He asked her, challenging her with a relaxed smirk. "I didn't say no, general. I just don't want to see you in trouble" she explained, being careful with her words to not make him misunderstand.

"Then think of it as an order" he suggested, putting his hand on her shoulder. "I order you to take the day off, relax and have some fun with your birthday. We can discuss work tomorrow" he explained to her, making the leopard think on it. Before she could answer, he headed back to his desk, resuming to his work.

It seemed he wasn't gonna settle on her saying no to her own birthday, so Daiyu started walking off. However, she stopped at a thought, glancing back at him. Since this was so sudden, she didn't make any plans today. And he seemed pretty bored. Plus, she would really like to have hin with her on her birthday.

"Jing Yuan"

Her voice came, making him look back up at her. "I didn't have any plans for my birthday on such short notice. How would you like to join me? Maybe we can bring Yanqing, and Mimi along and see what we can do" she offered him, and immediately, his yellow eyes brighten, and a smile forming at seeing a chance to get away from the papers on his desk. It amused Daiyu to see how he was trying to hide his excitement, and relief.

"I'll go find Yanqing. And we can begin this special day for you Daiyu" he said, getting up from his desk, and heading to find the boy. He was not missing a chance to get away from his duties. She chuckled in amusement as she went after him left to start the day. So far for Daiyu, her birthday was turning out well.