Chapter 3: Practice

-Hiccup's POV-

I woke up pretty late.. it was about 9:46 in the morning and I haven't gotten ready yet.. the concert is today so I might as well eat a lot so I have lots of energy stored up inside me..

I was surprised when I went downstairs straight to the kitchen and I saw my Dad cooking... This was unusual, he is usually at his office stressed at some documents..

"Whoa.. hey Dad!" I greeted him as I sat down at the counter chair because our table is quite big even though it's just the two of us so we or I usually eat at the counter..

"Morning Son.. I took a day off at work today.." he said as he handed me the plate with 3 layers of pancakes with yak butter and some syrup.. yum!

"So son.." He paused for a second waiting to get my attention.. I put the fork down and wiped my mouth then looked at him waiting for him to continue

"I have.. something for you.." he said.. he looked hesitant at first but then walked out of the room headed up stairs and went down with a mini wooden chest

He handed it to me then looked at me giving me the cue to open it.. when I did I was shocked and at lost for words.. I tear fell out of my eye as I remembered this...

This was the toy dragon that my mom made for me when I was a kid.. it was so dirty and smelly but for some reason I liked the smell.. it feels like I was again embraced by my Mother who was long gone..

A huge storm took her away from us.. that was what my Father told me till Gobber slipped up the truth about my Mother's disappearance.. it was because of me...

"How did you find it?" I asked.. I lost it when I was a baby playing at the beach near the water

"Trader Johann said that one of his brothers found it and sent me a letter asking if I wish to make a trade with him.. of course I did" he explained

I had a sudden flashback when I was still 4 years old playing near the beach..

I know my Father never blamed me because he knew he would have done the same

But I couldn't help but blame myself, i did so for 2 and a half years not until my dearest friend moved away and told me to never blame myself for an incident that I have no fault in

Because I was still a baby who could barely think on his own, she said that she knew my Father and everyone understood that it wasn't my fault.. everyone would have done it because I was a baby who still has a long way to go...

Since that day I never blamed myself.. not just because of the advice but because that friend saved me from my darkness days and if she said to not blame myself I wouldn't

Because I trust her, I trust that she wouldn't leave me in my darkest days...

But.. she really didn't leave me in my darkest days.. she stayed by my side helping me move on slowly and accept the truth.. the truth that hurts and I learned from it, I could never imagine a world without her in it..

She wasn't those fake friends who would leave you alone when you're down on your knees and completely lost.. she didn't betray me.. or that's at least what I thought..