Tears Like Rain

"Am I really this horrible? To have to live two lives like the opposite sides of a coin? For if those two sides were to meet it would mean certain death." - Kichi Minokawa

I watched silently as I took another sip of my coffee enjoying the rare day off I had as I enjoyed the pleasant aura and warmth of Anteiku. I flipped a coin as I looked outside noticing the grey clouds that seemed to be beginning to gather over the city. I had been allowed on the second floor since I had been wanting to spend time with Hinami. She didn't mind that I was in there while she was eating and ignored me. I smiled before pulling my cards out of my pocket and started shuffling them out of boredom before I stopped my ear twitching slightly at the sound of the door opening as the newbie entered unannounced. I watched out of the corner of my eye as he fell on his butt and started spluttering nonsense before leaving.

"..." I calmly took the napkin from around Hinami's neck and wiped her face of any blood before taking the plate and moving it into the sink knowing that after having had been seen eating she wouldn't be hungry anymore. I made my way back to Hinami as I replaced the cards back into my pocket. I smiled at her as I pulled her to me allowing her small frame to rest against my side as she started reading the book "Monochrome Rainbow" by Takatsuki. I softly ran my fingers through her hair. My ears twitched again as the sound of the door opening again to reveal Kaneki with a fresh cup of coffee which he placed in front of Hinami before apologizing.

"Onee-chan... "which" are you?" Hinami asked causing me to look at Kaneki my dull gold eyes giving him the message to answer her question.

"Uhh... umm." He stuttered before shifting nervously at how he should answer causing me to sigh.

"He was originally human Hinami-chan but due to an unfortunate accident he had Rize-sans organs transplanted into him so now he's what we could call a half-ghoul. Am I right Kaneki?" I stated before looking at Kaneki for confirmation, his visible dark eye widened in surprise before he nodded a yes. I looked back at the small girl who seemed slightly awkward for having had asked such a personal question although the fact that he did smell like a woman was strange.

"Oh!..." I didn't listen to how he rambled about Takatsuki's work that Hinami had been reading earlier before putting it down to give him her attention. I only noticed that Hinami seemed really happy about he was saying as he helped her read through and as she took notes about things. I watched this transaction until Ryouko came back into the room. I immediately stood up before embracing my old friend in a hug.

"I'm sorry if this is a bother Ryouko but would would you mind if I took a picture of you and Hinami?" I asked softly causing Hinami to smile at the sound of my voice since she rarely heard it. The woman smiled and agreed causing a smile to appear on my face as I moved them into a area with good light before positioning them to my liking and pulling out my camera. I made a goofy face causing Hinami to let out a small giggle and Ryoukos face to create a toothless smile before snapping the picture. I gave them a thumbs up before hugging them both good bye and making sure that they promised to be careful on their way home.

I looked out the window again a little while later realizing how late it was before pulling on my coat and making my way down the stairs noticing that Kaneki was also on his way out. I smiled at him before grabbing my clear umbrella and walking out with him a few steps behind me his own light colored umbrella almost connecting with mine a few times. I stared at him for a few seconds as the rain continued on its downward journey to the earth. My eyes widened as I sniffed the air the metallic scent of blood filling my nose it wasn't enough to stink up the area but it was strong enough for my delicate nose to pick it up. Folding up the umbrella I quickly followed the smell followed by a curious Kaneki at my sudden change in behavior as I turned a corner before stepping something a pulling my foot back. Leaning down my eyes easily picked up the familiar handwriting, the rabbit drawing, and signature on the book as I pulled out my phone typing 'call Yoshimura' and flashing it at Kaneki as I picked the book up and ran for it trying to pick up Hinami's scent but failing as the rain started washing away the scent before I turned noticing the young girl running towards us as I hugged her tightly to me giving Kaneki a worried look before hearing the words that sent chills up my spine.

"Mo-mom is all alone." Hinami whimpered into my shoulder as we followed her to where she had last seen her mother as I fumbled with the hidden pocket of my coat for my mask for a emergency rescue. We quickly ducked behind a corner as we watched Ryouka kneeling in the street her pretty white butterfly like kagune in tatters around her as she faced the investigators my hands tightening at the sight of my colleagues. I hated working for the doves knowing that they didn't care that my friend had done nothing to deserve this.

"Hinami li-" I quickly reacted covering up the small girls eyes as Mado cut Ryoukos' head off with his Quinque that used to be the kagune of Ryoukos husband and another dear friend of mine. Kaneki stared in shock and I could tell he had almost screamed as I pulled him away before anyone noticed our presence. I handed him Hinami's book before carefully picking her up and holding her against my body allowing her to sob into my shoulder as we made our way back to Anteiku.

Small tears appeared in my eyes at the broken state of the girl, my goddaughter. Who had not only lost her father but now her mother. I cried silently as I held her the rain pouring down on us as if it was crying at the loss of the kind friend and mother it had just lost.