Chapter One - PROLOGUE

New York, New York

New York, New York

Present time

Bucky Barnes was humming Bohemian Rhapsody while he reached his arm out to grab a carton of milk from the fridge. His left hand wore his golden ring, like five thousand pounds of disruptive vindication.

The hand barely wrapped its way around the jug handle when a familiar voice made him yelp, causing him to bang his head on the top shelving of the refrigerator.

He was sure his wife had gone to the office early that morning, like she usually did, to catch up on some paperwork that remained to be due at the end of the month; he recognized that she wouldn't pass up the opportunity at an opening for another promotion.

Naturally, he figured he'd spend his morning alone, so it was no surprise that a second voice in the quiet space caused him to jump about with one foot into the air, his heart beating at nearly one hundred beats per second.

A soft and feminine chuckle echoed through the large and open kitchen.

A deep groan left his lips as he rubbed the sore spot on the back of his head, the flesh there, hot to the touch. Shamefully, he spun around to see Ashlyn leaning on the kitchen island, a small smile playing on her pretty rosy lips.

His eyebrows furrowed together.

"I thought you were gone." he mumbled.

She eyed him up and down with a smirk on her face.

"Yeah, about that, change of plans."

Bucky stretched out his right arm as he used his left hand to roll the sleeve of his tight white dress shirt up to his elbow, which still held a lingering tan from the summertime.

Walking up to the counter, he does the same thing with his other arm, switching the milk from hand to hand as he does so.

Ashlyn's smile dropped slightly, and Bucky raised a brow, noticing her changed worried demeanor. Slowly, he sat the cold milk down next to his white bowl and then crossed his arms - leaning forward on the cold counter.  Not allowing his eyes to drift away from hers, he moved in until their faces were inches apart, and he watched her intently. She averted her gaze, looking everywhere, except for at him.

"What's going on?" He demanded, voice dripping with concern.

Ashlyn bit her bottom lip.

He peered down at her finger, drawing his attention as it traced an invisible drawing onto the marble countertop. Her gel nails were rosy pink, a ring fairly similar to his on her left hand.

"You know my sister, Riley?" After a moment of hesitation, she spared a glance up at Bucky.

The millisecond her name rolled off Ashlyn's tongue, it's like a butcher knife was jammed into his lower chest, very slowly dragging its way up to his throat.