Chapter Nine

"He was helping a group of Israeli children escape the orphanage that was being bombed

"He was helping a group of Israeli children escape the orphanage that was being bombed."

"The kids had made it safely onto the refuge truck, but they took him before he could get on."

"His arm was merely hanging off by the nerves."

"Miraculously, they were all intact."

Sydney, Australia

Steve was finishing rubbing tanning lotion down Riley's back when her gaze drifts over to Bucky and Ashlyn.

Ashlyn was folding her towel and grabbing her sunglasses off the concrete ground of the pooling deck when Riley sees Bucky unbuttoning his white dress shirt, revealing smooth skin.

Riley does a double-take as she takes the lotion bottle from Steve. She realizes this is the first time she has seen him without a shirt. He hadn't gone swimming in Montauk, so naturally, she was a bit caught off guard by the manscape.

Bucky was somewhat tan, his nipples significantly darker than the rest of his body, and it was obvious he worked out. He had subtle abs and toned arms that Riley never noticed before because they were always hidden under Henleys and plaid shirts.

But that wasn't why she couldn't look away. It was the rugged scars that started on his arm, just below his left shoulder.

They were deep, careless, spastic, and looked painful. He looks down at it himself for a brief second, as if wondering if he should put his shirt back on or not. He was self-conscious.

He quickly decided against it and sat down on the chair and grabbed his own sunscreen out of his backpack that sat on the floor between his feet.

Riley notes another scar just below his armpit, it was deep and ran across towards the front of his chest, but faded out just to the left of his nipple. As he sat back up, he involuntarily made eye contact with her, noticing her gaze on his scars.

She was staring and he caught her.

His eyes were emotionless as he stilled for a moment.
Riley felt the heat rise in her cheeks and she quickly looked away, ashamed.

She could feel his gaze still on her as she pretended to turn around to thank Steve for his help.

The moment passes and Bucky ends up laying on the chair for a bit, taking in a quick tan and some vitamin D while the other girls were on the poolside sipping their cocktails and giggling. Riley could hear the laughter through the air and the splashing of water.

She laid next to Steve who was also taking in some of the sun's rays. She didn't want to admit it out loud, but the truth was that she didn't want to admit that she was waiting for Bucky to leave so she could ask Steve the question that had been swirling in her head.

It takes about forty-five minutes for that to finally happen. Ashlyn jumps out of the water and grabs onto his hand trying to drag Bucky in. She manages to pull him from his nap on the chair and to the pool.