Chapter Twenty-Seven

New York, New York

In contrast to the events that would occur, ironically, the weather today was gorgeous.

After Riley and Bucky said their respective goodbyes, she took a shower in the beautiful hotel room. The little extra shampoos, conditioners, and soap bars lined the front of the bathroom mirror that was starting to fog up from the heat of the water.

After grabbing one of the rolled towels and drying herself, she changed into her most appropriate outfit to go meet Nat.

Riley felt enraptured by the thought of the activities of the day. Her head felt cold, her stomach greedy, but her core totally ardent.

She hadn't seen Nat in years and her nerves affected her stomach like crazy.

Too much had happened in one day for her mind to wrap her head around it in such a short period of time.

She and Bucky finally confessed their love to each other. Again.

She and Bucky finally kissed again.

She and Bucky had sex.

Steve still thought she and him were a thing.

Steve caught her and Bucky in her hotel room where they had sex.

It scared her to think what else would be in stock for her.

Aside from the happiness she felt in her heart, she couldn't deny the simultaneous doubt she felt.

As much as she truly wanted everything to work out between her and Bucky, she also cared about the people around her. She knew she wouldn't be able to sleep well until she and Steve were on good terms again, and it bothered her consciences what she was doing to her sister.

Riley wanted Bucky, if it meant losing the people around her, she was really willing to make the  compromises in certain places.

Would she be willing to lose her blood sister over the love of her life?

She sighed deeply as her feet landed on the soft, white, and luxurious rug. She rang the water out of her heavy hair into the towel - twist and squeeze - and her eyes darted over to her phone which laid next to the sink.

She was waiting for Bucky's text, letting her know everything had gone okay with him and Steve.

~

The amount of time he left him out there in silence was treacherous.

After telling Steve that he would continue talking while Steve listened, he had gone silent.

Truth was, he was afraid.

Bucky was also silently suffering from the tension he had put on his friendship with his best friend.

At one point, he had almost given up and just turned and walked home.

He was moments away from losing all hope before he saw Steve's face as the door creaked open.

They share a stinging look and Steve had led him into his apartment, through to his living room.

They sat there for a few minutes on the couch, squirming occasionally.

Bucky swirled the cup of water in his hand that had been given to him.

"Are you going to talk?" Steve asked hoarsely. "You seemed to have had so much to say."

Bucky looked at his best friend and Steve could see how tired he was.

He could tell how much this whole situation was having a toll over him.

"Steve, you're my best friend," Bucky sighed.