Chapter Seventeen

Greenwich Village New York, New York

It was a month before the wedding and she wasn't prepared for her unanticipated uproar of emotions.

She sits next to Nat on one of the wooden stools that lined up against the glass of the cozy café. It was semi-busy as a few people chattered around them both here and there, the sounds of the coffee grinder and some indie song, that she's heard a one too many times, around her.

It was a comforting setting and it was supposed to make Rylie feel soothed.

But that was the last thing she felt as they both sipped on their drinks, staring out into the street.

She sat with her feet close together on the feet stand on the stool. They both had just gotten back from picking up their dresses for the wedding and feet feet throbbed faintly in her shoes, the needed rest doing her well.

Her mind was far as she watched the people walking outside, avoiding Nat's questioning gaze on the side of her face as she kept attempting to say something. She knew she had been trying to come up with the right words the last house, but clearly, none seemed right.

She didn't want to admit to it, but her feelings from the last year had reached its last straw and she could no longer enclose her strong emotions.

It hadn't been hard to look past her saddened face as Nat watched her pay for her dress, an indisputable grimace on her face as she gave the lady her debit card.

She didn't even try to hide her scowl anymore.

She had given up on pretending; on hiding her true feelings.

"Do you want to talk about this, Rylie"

Nat finally has the courage to ask after she takes a sip.

Rylie take one as well, looking down at the table right after. She were was for Nat to have the balls to say something.

Truth is, she wanted to get it out.

Letting it build up inside of her was making it worse for her emotional health.

"It's in a month. I don't know if I can do it, Nat."

It's a sigh that leaves Nat's mouth. She's disappointed in her and Rylie don't blame her.

"You still like him?"

It should've been a simple question, but it was anything but. She was so naive to what was really going on.

"Nat, I don't think it's just like anymore," Rylies looks up at her to see Nat already staring at her, concern in her eyes, "It stopped being like months ago." Rylies adds in a pathetic whisper that almost sounds like a supplication.

Nat looks at her in confusion until she realizes what she meant and her face changes from furrowed brows to a look that is serious, her eyes widening slightly.

Nat takes in a deep breath and moves in closer to her.

"What are you talking about, Rye?"

She don't know why but Rylie smiles. It's a sad smile.

"I'm in love with him."

Nat's face falls and it resembles the feeling that she was currently feeling inside of her chest. It held dead, pity, and then disbelief.

Her eyes flicker over to the bag on the table that held her dresses and she continues softly, her eyes still far and not necessarily focusing on anything specific.

"I"m in love with him and I'm going to be standing there," she swallows thickly as her voice breaks, as the mental image of Ashlyn wearing a white dress and Bucky wearing a tux enters her mind, "watching him, give himself away to someone undeserving." She say brutally as her eyes fill with angry tears.