Chapter Fourteen

Upstate, New York

Upstate, New York

Steve texts Rylie that afternoon asking if she was okay because she wasn't at the engagement. She doesn't reply.

Rylie never understood love.

As a child, she always imagined it'd be something that brought happiness to her. She envisioned herself twenty years into the future as five years old her would rip toilet paper from her parent's bathroom and stick it into the sides of her red headband. Then, she'd dig into her mother's closet and look for the fanciest pair of heels that she owned. They were about four times the size of her little feet, but she didn't care as she spun around in front of her mirror, caressing the toilet paper that fell over her shoulder as if it were a veil.

She was five and she couldn't wait until she met her prince charming, she couldn't wait to fall in love for the first time like the princesses in the movies.  It seemed real to her - true love. It wasn't a myth or a fairytale, even staring at her own parents she could tell it was a real thing.

Of course, her life never turned out that way. Boy after boy, then men after men, her heart was continuously broken. That image of her walking down the aisle in a big white dress eventually diminished, and with each time it seemed easier to let it go. She had no longer thought about five years old her in the toilet paper veil. Instead, she grew more with the expectation that if something was good, maybe she could date the guy forever, not even get married.

Who cares if all her old high school and college friends were all married except for her.

This true reality was what she lived with now. She no longer believed in true love, just infatuation, and lust.

Or so she thought she no longer did. Her gut and her heart told her otherwise while Pebbles laid next to her as she watched Dirty Dancing for the third time that week, the second time that day.

She caressed Pebbles as she purred intently. She loved Pebbles and Pebbles loved her - this kind of love didn't hurt.

She found yourself believing in love once more as she stared at Swayze dragging the back of his hand down Baby's inner arm.

There had reached a point after her experience with Eddie where she couldn't listen to love songs anymore and movies like these made her cringe. She had become a hater, more out of lack of faith of love than hating love.

Love scared her, it's why she let it go. It always left her hurt, it was always one-sided.

She feels a tightness in her throat as she wonders how Bucky's hands would feel on her if they both danced that same way.

Pebble lets out another purr.

She allowed yourself to sulk now in pain, learning from past experience that keeping it in doesn't help anything. But she refused to think of him ever since he showed her the ring.