Chapter Twelve

After that horrendous phone call, Riley had spent that whole night crying

After that horrendous phone call, Riley had spent that whole night crying. Any possibility of why Bucky would do such a thing crossed through her mind as she laid wide awake into the early hours.

After many reasons came and went through her mind, she decided not to pry on it; as it was only making her feel worst. The feeling that grew within her chest as she replayed his words was becoming more unbearable.

Eventually, once she was into her fifth episode of How I Met Your Mother and her second bag on Lays potato chips, she came to terms that she wasn't as special to Bucky as he was to her. That was the bottom line.

Everyone had been telling her for a while and she should have listened. She should have been careful from the beginning. But even if she was, to be honest with herself, it's not like she even expected to develop feelings for Bucky. It was innocent from the start, and there was never any alternative intentions behind anything she ever did.

It snuck up on her.

She even considered that maybe she was somehow coming off strong to him without realizing it and it scared him off.

Its been three weeks since that day and it was blatantly obvious that Bucky decided to distance himself from her. That's not including his very blunt text inviting Riley to his birthday dinner.

Thankfully, that's exactly how long it took for her to finally become comfortable with having someone else to lean her head on. It took time, but slowly she was able to think about him less and less.

It was more when she closed her eyes at night, that she would replay Bucky's words in her head over again. Yes, it would still break her heart.

Her first date with Loki had gone smoothly. She had met him at Harold Square and he had worn a nice suit and tie while she wore a little black dress that fell just below her knees, accompanied by a pair of short heels.

They both went to some little restaurant in the village.

It was perfect.

He was a complete gentleman and made her smile and laugh. If it wasn't enough that he was extremely kind and respectful. He also wouldn't hesitate to hold her hand across the table and tell her she was beautiful.

She would smile painfully, trying not to think about how on the walk over they both walked by a little cafe that Bucky had once introduced her to. She hadn't been to that cafe since he cut her off.

Loki was the embodiment of a perfect man. Sure, he was no Steve Rogers in the chivalry sense, but he was a man, the exact thing that she needed at that moment. There was some underlying mischievousness to him that she couldn't deny, but that only made him oh the more desirable to her. She was definitely happy about that.

She should be interested in him- by his level of perfectness - but for some reason, she couldn't allow her heart to open up to him. What she hated the most was that she knew why she couldn't, no matter how hard she tried.