Chapter Thirty-Two

[...] "How do I know for sure that it's not you that are all those things? Because let me tell you something, I know the woman I fell in love with, I know the girl I met and she is none of those things you accuse her of, so stop trying to force it down my throat."

"You think I'm fooling you into making her think she's the bad one? You think I'm lying about her being manipulative?"

"Rylie, you have done nothing but talk shit about her."

"Fine!"

It comes out in a roar as she snaps back around and screams it in his face.

Bucky recoils slightly at her outburst.

Her face is red; her eyes flushed.

"Fine, Barnes, you want me to stop talking shit about her and stop trying to protect her, I will!" She tilts her head up higher, a finger in his chest, "But just know that if she hurts you, it's your own fault [...]"

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

"James Barnes is in no way taking any drugs. His reason for being at Presbyterian Hospital remains private, but it is not drug-related." A reliable source tells Washington Post.

Rumors of James Barnes' loyalty towards his family remain under tough waters and constant watch as afflicted co-counters doubt his reliability and responsibility as new CEO. Many even say that his wife, Ashlyn Barnes, would be a better fit for the job.

- The Huffington Post

James Barnes's loyalty appears to be rocky when it comes to his marriage, just as much as his loyalty to his company. Doubts are starting to arise after hospital visit when Barnes was later spotted leaving his New York Penthouse with a mysterious woman.

-NYT

James Barnes, a cheater? Let's hope he's a better businessman than he is a husband.

Amateur News Blog

~

New York City

The flashes come from left and right, the shouts and screams making his head swirl.

The gorgeous brunette man, his best friend, has a hand on his lower back as he helps guide him inside the tall, glass tower.

Bucky does as he was told in the car moments before.

He keeps his head tilted down, avoiding every question and microphone thrown his way. They are to brace the accusations and crude comments as they race towards the glass doors.

"Mr. Rogers, as Barnes' attorney, don't you think it's a bit biased to be working this case, considering you're his best friend of fifteen years?"

"James! Did you really cheat on Miss. Ashlyn? James!"

"James, are you losing Barnes' Enterprises? What has been decided among the case after it was discovered that your father tried to take it from you?"

"What about Stark's company, threatening to buy you out for insubordination? What don't the people know?"

"Mr. Barnes why-"

The voices are drawn out and become distant as both men finally step into the lobby, a heavy breath escaping Bucky's lungs.

He's thankful that none of the news reporters are allowed inside because this - he closes his eyes and takes in the soothing silence - was a lot better.

Still, his mind is not clear enough. Not as clear as he would have hoped.

Not even as they take the elevator up to the newsroom. His best friend can tell he's nervous, and for what, he's not so sure.