Chapter Twenty-One

Three years later

Williamsburg, Brooklyn NYC

The delicious smell of freshly brewed coffee, baked muffins, and pastries engulfed everyone's senses as they ate contently at their little tables scattered inside the little bakery, Brooklyn's Delights.

To everyone's dismay, the weather had turned snowy and a lot of the people that had been walking outside had run inside the little shop for temporary cover and warmth. While doing so, many settled for a warm snack as they took in the gorgeous display of goodies and the wonderful aroma. Each one paired with an equally warm drink as they warmed themselves up, collars pulled high, hats pulled low, and fingers tucked under long cotton sleeves.

The customers that were already inside the bakery stayed in their spot, looking out the window as the flurries turned into thicker drops of white flecks.

Darting an eye towards the entrance as it dinged once more, Riley ran behind the counter, shimmying her way between her friend Katie and Sammy. She never really grew as close to Sammy as she did to Katie over the years, but the two of them got along just fine.

The commotion around her grew louder as the snow got heavier. Riley thanked the heavens that her little apartment was only right down the street and that she wouldn't have to walk too much in this white shit the tourists call a wonderland.

She wiped her hand on her already dirty green apron that laid folded around her waist, with her other hand grabbing a mug, placing it under the nozzle of the hot chocolate machine. She then pulled the lever, the loud whirring sound of the machine mixing in the with the many voices inside the little bakery.

It was obvious it was getting more hectic than they could all handle, the line now doubling in size and zig-zagging around some of the tables.

"I need one caramel mocha latte," Riley threw over her shoulder to one of the girls. Next, she placed another mug on the station next to hers and poured some milk, "extra caramel."

"One caramel mocha latte coming up!" Sammy yelled over the sound of Katie's register closing and the hot chocolate machine, as she prepared her station and her ingredients.

"Extra caramel!" Riley shouted one more time.

Katie stood at the register yelling out different names and drinks and then charged the customers. It was obvious she was getting a bit overwhelmed at that she needed a hand.

Katie never really liked ringing people up, she was always best in the kitchen making the goodies that made Brooklyn's Delight what it was.

"Riley, I got an additional order of three hot cocoas, mediums."

Riley sighed softly as she grabbed two cup caps from under the counter where she was working and put them on both of the drinks she had just finished preparing.

She signed the appropriate names on both cups before walking over to the small counter.

"I have a Sean and a Cindy?" She said loudly as her eyes scanned the crowd. She watched as people shimmied around and then two individuals passed in through the crowd to where she was standing. A tall blonde and a tall brunette took their drinks and thanked her before heading back over to the window to admire the storm.

Riley looked over at Katie and smiled sadly as she clenched and unclenched her hand while a customer prepared to give her another order.

"Katie, it's okay I'll take over the front. You can work station one." Riley kindly tells her.

The thankful brown eyes she gave Riley were sincere.

"Thanks, Riley."

Riley let her pass her before she spun back around to take the order. A little boy stood in front of Riley, his hands gripping onto the counter.