Chapter Sixteen

Steve doesn't even give Rylie a second glance as he walks across the room over to Bucky's desk

Steve doesn't even give Rylie a second glance as he walks across the room over to Bucky's desk. He tries not to make it obvious that he's uncomfortable, but she notices the way he strides in too confidently, throwing her an indirect shade with a side glance.

She and Bucky, still trying to mentally recover from the moment they just shared, watched as he leaned over the table, supporting himself on one arm. With the other, he reaches across the desk to grab a pen that was next to Bucky's laptop.

Bucky throws Rylie an additional glance. He still doesn't understand what had just happened. He knew he had almost kissed her, but she hadn't pulled away. If anything, she had leaned in yourself.

She touched him.

His heart was still in a fragile state, he tells himself. He looks down at the paper the Steve handed to him, his eyes scanning over the words.

Rylie tries to peak an eye at it over his shoulder, curious as soon as his entire demeanor changed. Minutes ago he had been sad, broken, and he had looked the closest to what she had always hoped for - love. But now, he was aggravated.

"They couldn't even wait until his body was cold?" Bucky spats as he waves the paper in his right hand, looking up to meet Steve's eyes.

It doesn't take much for her to realize what he's holding.

Steve looked pissed and tired as he peaks an eye at Bucky. Steve straightens his back out as he beats one finger repeatedly down on the table.

"They can't wait. This has to be done now," Steve's eyes drift over to her, he looks her up and down with a raised brow. His gaze is intense and she blushes furiously. Not from his stare itself, but from embarrassment. His look was accusing and his words only further confirm that, "unless this isn't a good time."

Bucky seethes as he walks over to Steve, his bright teeth in a tight line.

Steve's eyes are still on Rylie and she felt a tremor go through her body. She felt awful and most importantly, guilty, knowing exactly why he was pissed. She didn't blame him, he had every right.

She looks away from his eyes, swallowing hard. She wanted to be swallowed down into a dark hole.

"It's just you? Where's everyone else that has to be present to watch me sign this damn thing?" Bucky asks Steve once he's in front of him.

Steve finally looks away from Rylie and down at the paper in his best friend's hand.

"This is just page one, the one that will hand everything over to you. As soon as this is signed, it'll all be yours. No formalities. The other important stuff will be later, when it's time to sign all that, we will have a board meeting. This is nothing compared to all of that." Steve taps the pen against Bucky's chest as Bucky glares at him. They knew the real reason there was tension in the room and it had nothing to do with his father's death, "So, yeah, Buck. It's just me."