Chapter Ten

One year later

One year later.

New York City, New York

"I just think it's interesting that you knew who I was, yet you said that the first moment you saw me you had no idea who I was," He looked back at Riley with a contagious smug smile, "and dare is say, you thought I was cute."

She rolls her eyes. He was such an annoying tease sometimes and it made her blush how much his accusation was true.

"Shut up, Barnes! It was a momentary lapse," She threw her hand up defensively, that cocky smirk still on his face, "anyone could've thought that about you if you were mentally slow like I was at the time. I was starving. Also, they never showed a lot of you on TV," you point a finger in his face, "at least not as much as your parents."

He sighs happily.

"Okay, fine. I'll let it slide."

She chuckles, finally taking in the serenity of the comfortable silence in the parked car in the dark. She couldn't help that high that she felt in her tummy when he bit his lip and shook his head at her silliness.

Her smile grew involuntarily.

"You're an idiot," She looked outside her window and to Ashlyn's apartment building. It was taunting and it stuck in her face like a big middle finger, "remind me again why we're here and why you made me wear this dress?"

He looks outside his own car window.

"I'm surprising your sister with the best birthday party she's ever been to. She thinks we're just going out to eat, but no."

Her head snapped to face him in disbelief. He always did things like this, he always seemed to pull great ideas out of his ass and transform them into gestures that were too pure and great.

"No way. What did you do?"

The side of his lip perked up.

"I just pulled some few strings- invited some highly important people."

The kind of boyfriend he was never fazed to amaze her. For a moment she feels jealous. She wondered what it felt like to be treated the way he treated Ashlyn. The sad part was that Ashlyn took it for granted. It was like she didn't appreciate what she had right in front of her.

Riley blinks quickly and swallows the dry lump that had formed in her throat.

"You do so much for her." She says.

She hears him sigh, and a sound which could only be him readjusting himself nervously in his seat.

"We've talked about this. She deserves it."

If she listened any closer, she could almost hear that doubt in his voice. But he would never admit to it and Riley knew that.

She shakes the anger and the sour emotions away and instead gives the back of his head a sad smile.