Chapter Twenty-Nine

Someone could've shouted in his ears and he wouldn't have budged an inch.

He was too busy cursing at the world for trying to make something sickly entertaining out of something extremely serious.

Ever since he was a kid, his family had been the center of attention when it came to the media and gossip.

But he was always affected the less by it. He was never the true target.

That all changed the second he got appointed as CEO. Now he was the center of every gossip, of every rumor, and lie.

It had reached a point where he had gotten so used to it. His PR and Wanda took care of everything for him that was necessary to help him focus on real important things instead of the lies of the media.

But this one, this had to be the worst one yet.

He ran a hand through his hair as he read the article on his phone.

He hadn't even searched for it. It had come up as a notification on his news app on its own.

He held his head in his hands as his elbows rested on his knees.

Riley sat next to him, running her hand comfortably up and down his arm, telling him to stop looking at it.

JAMES BARNES SPOTTED IN HOSPITAL PARKING LOT SUPPOSEDLY FOR FURTHER DRUG TESTING AFTER RECENT OVERDOSE RUMORS

Below it, there was a picture of him with his back against the brick wall outside of the hospital, looking tired; hair disarray.

"These people have no better shit to do." He grumbled as he handed Riley his phone.

"I'll take care of it, Bucky." Wanda says, pulling out her own phone, making preparatives to speak to the media and claim that the rumors are false.

"She'll talk to them. You shouldn't have to deal with this right now." Nat agreed.

Bucky ran his hands down his face, his eyes still bloodshot.

It was seven in the morning. Bucky had spent the night by Ashlyn's side in her room, giving her a helping hand as much as he could in their situation.

They were preparing her for the dreaded procedure the doctors would perform on her today.

"She hardly slept," Bucky sighed, rubbing under his eye, "She's terrified. She's shocked. We're both so tired." He grumbled under his breath.

Riley caressed the back of his hair where it met his neck.

"I'm so sorry." She says.

Bucky nodded slowly, pinching the bridge of his nose.

He had been all cried out. He knew he would mourn his loss for a very long time, but all the tears he had offered had been spent over the last six or so hours. He knew that all he could do now was try to be there for Ashlyn in the most appropriate way he could be.

He had to make sure she was mentally doing okay, but that was it.

Nat shared a look with Wanda.

"Bucky, I know this isn't the best time for this, but there are some things we wanted to run by you." Nat announced, moving closer to Riley and Bucky, "It's about your prenup and will with Ash. Me and Wanda might be able to help you with it."

Bucky sighed as he played with his fingers - picking at them.

A few long seconds pass.

"As much I would love to hear it, I'm just not in the best mindset right now. I want to focus one thing at a time, I-" he took a deep breath, "I just lost my baby girl, I can't think about anything else right now."