Chapter Four

"Oh shit

"Oh shit. Sorry."

The apology catches Riley off guard. She was moping in a corner of the dark kitchen, and she thought she had been alone. Not only because of the absolute silence and eeriness of the entire downstairs area but because it was two in the morning.

She jumps up and turn around in her spot and she sees Bucky standing there in the doorway.

His hair is disarray, and he's shirtless while his sweats lie low on his hips. One of the two jaw strings was tucked messily inside, the other hanging freely. His cheeks gave off a soft pink hue, the clear evidence of what he had been doing with her sister, all over his body.

His first instinct is to recoil in embarrassment, after all, he and Ashlyn had thought everyone was asleep, and they weren't necessarily quiet. Did Riley hear them? Is that why she was awake?

The embarrassment quickly dissipates when he notices her blood shut eyes and her messy hair. His arm drops off from the wall from where he had been looking for the light switch.

She quickly snaps her face away from his direction and rubs underneath her eyes and cheeks.

"Everything okay?"

She nods curtly as she turn her entire body away from him, tucking her hair behind her ear. God forbid if her sister's own boyfriend saw her crying.

Life just had to kick her in the ass multiple times.

"You don't look okay."

It's not like she could tell him exactly what was going on. To start, Riley barely knew him, and second, no one is even supposed to know that she cries- it made her feel pathetic and absolutely small.

She was crying because it was two in the morning and anything that ever tormented her life to make her the emo soul that she was hit her worse after midnight. It's rare for her to even lay in bed at such an hour and not shed a tear or two. Truth is, her life was always a struggle and she felt like she never got a break.

No relationship she had ever been in was a success. There was always something that got in the way — either he was a cheater, he didn't love her back, he was too old for her, or there was someone he loved more.

That was exactly what happened to her and Eddie. Sure it was three years ago, but it left her completely shattered.

Up until she had met Eddie, her love life had already been a disgrace and she had lost almost all faith to even continue searching for Mr. Right. When she met Eddie, she thought all that had changed. She had thought he was different, that he loved her and always would. Riley had let down those walls for him and finally allowed another man into her life once more. She worked hard in school and on her relationship with him — letting everyone else out- for her sake in making it work with him and setting up a potential foundation for a future life together. Of course, that was all too good to be true. One day he told her that what he felt for her wasn't love.