Chapter Five

Montauk, NY 7 years earlier

The trip lasted for about two more days, and it ended up being a complete blast. The day after the pool party, you had all woken up bright and early. Riley remembers waking up and cringing as the bright sun peeked from behind the curtains in her guest bedroom. She winced and cursed. She had a slight headache from last night.

She hated being a damn lightweight. Just one sip and she already knew the next morning a dumb migraine would follow her around.

Thankfully, after a cup of coffee and an Advil, it began to go away. Everyone gathered around the kitchen island as they all decided what they'd do for the day for fun. Once it was settled, they made their way out into town.

The town was pretty, it had its handmade stone laid streets and it was clean. Vintage light posts lined the streets, and even though it was day time they remained on, illuminating and creating a calm and romantic glow. Couples walked down the sidewalk hand in hand. Some of them had kids who they would push in their expensive strollers.

Some were tourists, some were here for the summer, and some were leaving their beach homes for a walk into town for some fresh air and delicious breakfast.

Riley walked alongside Nat and Sam while Steve, Bucky, and Ashlyn kept stopping to look at some antiques through the windows. The first group insisted on walking into the stores instead of just looking from the outside.

They strolled into the touristy gift shops and felt inclined to buy a white sweatshirt that said Montauk on it.

Next, they went to breakfast at a little five-star corner restaurant that barely fit all six of them around a corner table. It was fantastic. At one point, the syrup had practically sprayed out of Riley's nose after Nat said something offensive about Sam.

Sam snarled in annoyance and Bucky and Ashlyn threw their head back in chuckles. Meanwhile, Nat and Steve made Riley laugh even more.

They were honestly having the time of their life. She didn't expect to feel so comfortable so quickly and she couldn't be more thankful to have actually made such great friends.

Eventually, the sun had begun to set — the sky was turning into a dark blue with specks of purple and pink.

You were all walking down Main St, to go to a gorgeous restaurant Ashlyn had found on yelp, when Riley felt a slight nudge on her arm. If she had been daydreaming, she almost wouldn't have felt it.

She glanced over to her left to see Steve smirking down at her. His blue eyes (did they have green in them? Jesus H. Christ.) sparkled and his pure white smile made her feel funny inside.

His sincerity was overbearing.

The way he stared at her reminded her of what Nat had told her yesterday in the kitchen and a deep heat make its way up to her neck. She snapped her head up and cleared her throat, trying not to smile.